Hiding wiring

screamer510

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK update time.

I started this the other day waiting for some things to fall into place with my engine rebuild. So, since the engine is out, and the dirty taped-up harness was staring me in the face, I figured I give 'er a go...

Started at the fuse block with the wiper motor harness and the bundle for the Jacobs EI. Rerouted and taped those together, everything is going good. After that, I unclamped the harness from the body clips, all the way to the driver's lights and coil. Worked on the headlight/marker light/horn area, then unwrapped from there to the fuse block.

As I started to fumble through the 1" thick bundle of wires

galactic_black_hole.jpg

I began to stare down into a deep, dark abyss similar to what is seen above. The abyss is known in my mind's eye solely as, "PROJECT."

I had a rapid-paced out-of-body experience where I saw myself weeks from now still fumbling with wires, trying to get my engine in, my wife cursing me, nothing working out right, problems arising, kicking my past-life self for not leaving this shit alone.

As fast and as neat as I could, I retaped the harness from the headlights to the fuse block, cleaning it up and singling out wires to the starter, alternator, etc. I've been down that road (project) and have always regretted it. I AM AN ADULT NOW AND I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY MISTAKES AND I KNOW BETTER NOW!!!!!!

Finished up the taping tonight on the driver's side, and I think I'm happy with the results. Pics to follow. Thanks again for the help, even if I didn't follow much of it.

And yes, Indy, the engine bay is getting a bath and a detail before the rebuilt L20 goes back in!

Dan

Here is mine i put all the relays and fuse box under the dash. Then ran the wiring down the side of the fender frame rail and comes threw the hole for the fuel filter and the rest goes right in the factory spot

1d1e7319.jpg

0040f055.jpg

I'm also using a 240sx alternator so I could get rid of the external regulator and more amps.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

stuff on the left was (according to the books) not needed for what i have 

DSC_0446.jpg

what i ended up with, the rubber grommet on the right hand side of the pic is where the fire-wall will be so fuse box and the rest of the nest will be in the car under the dash

the bundle of wires closest to the book is all starter/alt. stuff although im going to hold off on that stuff until i figure out if im going to upgrade to the Saturn 90 amp. alt

wiper motor wires will go behind the dash and pop out right under the wiper motor  

DSC_0448.jpg

i am leaving these in case i want to do the washer fluid motor at some point 

DSC_0450.jpg

and for some reason unknown to me my tach. wires that go to the ing. coil and dizzy are about 8-9 ft long...

DSC_0449.jpg

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is a year old but I'm trying this right now. So when u pull the wires back through the fire wall and have it all untaped did u have to lengthen certain wires ?

You will probably have to lengthen a few... its all going to depend on where you relocate you fusebox to or where you run your wires. Some will separate the whole harness and run the right half out through the drivers side and the left out the passenger side. Some just go through the stock hole with the whole harness. 

It all depends how hardcore you want to get and how much you want to tuck. 

Doing a wire tuck isn't worth the time and effort unless you are replacing the factory harness with an aftermarket one. It would be too much work, and you'd never have the clean result of a new harness. Doing the stock one you'd have to find a place to hide all those ugly relays and crap on the fenderwells, and put the fuse box somewhere. Neither of those are problems with an aftermarket harness. Plus, in the end you'd have a hacked up 40 year old harness. That alone should be reason enough not to do it.