Ignition switch

boxboy

I have an ignition switch that is going out on me. If you don't let it "bounce back" after starting, and just easy let go of it, it works fine. But, if I just start it and let go normally it seems to turn back a bit too far and kill the engine. I have also notice putting it in the "on" position that sometimes the ALT/OIL lights don't go on unless I move the key a bit one way or the other. The wires to the starter seem fine.

Is there any way to fix this, or am I doomed to replace the start switch with a generic? It is still the orig. switch from 1968 as far as I can tell. I'd like to keep it that way.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WD 40?????

get anonther they cheap

The problem is I believe the 520 is a different switch than the 521, and I don't see them available anywhere. It would be nice to keep my keys matching the door locks too.

I don't think WD is the trick. It's not sticky at all, if anything it is just too loose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest LoneWolf

I have an key ignition problem again on my 1972 510...I don't want to change the whole key ignition assembly again...so my question would be who is running a completely different type of key ignition for their 510? I don't want to be "pick starting" my car everyday...when I change the ignition its perfect for about 2 months and then the ignition gets "gimpy" again.