Anybody repaired a 510 frame rail?

I've been looking at a 2 door, and overall the car looks pretty decent. Very straight, with rust in a few spots. Today I showed up with cash in hand, dolly in tow, and was about to make the deal, but I wanted to look the car over one more time. Glad I did. Under the front passenger fender, I shined my flashlight and saw this:

Photo2141-1.jpg

You can imagine my disappointment. I hadn't seen it when I checked out the car a month ago, and had been excited about it until now. The other side has cancer as well, but not nearly as bad. My question is, what am I looking at time/resource-wise, and how much should this affect my offer? I told him it wasn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but I was seriously going to have to think about it. I mean, the car isn't even safe to be driven, as this is located right over the TC rod mount; without extensive repairs, the car is a parts car at best. IF I were to buy it, I'd basically have to find a front cut from another 510, no?

I was looking forward to a turn-key 510 to drive around, but looks like it's evaded me, once again.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

once you find rust like that... .. . it's just the first of many spots you will find .... ... unless you want to do a full rotissirie restoration,,, I would pass

20111231120220-5fce92fb.jpg

20111231120236-ce126914.jpg

20111231120222-58be30cc.jpg

Here's a link to Merlin's "Bad Granny" 510 build ..... .. Tycot1 cut out the front frame rails along with most of the car.... :lol:

http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10698&start=105

^^ click to see frame rail replacement ... (looks like a HUGE job)

im in the middle of this repair myself (need to get my bottle filled and new spool of wire)but whole thing could be done in a weekend no problem. if you deside to save this little gem i have templates made up for both panels, let me know if that would be any help to you. peace, Dan

• 1 month later...

Really depends on what you pay for the car. I spent $550 for hauling a free car home (actually 2 cars, but the other one is 90% rusted out scrap metal!), with that same rust in the front frame extension (and plenty more!), but I'll weld it up, and drive the car as a beater! If you are looking for a restoration project, I'd pass too, but is it cheap enough to be a great parts car once you find a better car...........??

IM007413.jpg