looking for info/specs on a 67 r1600 roadster engine

spec-bre

I have been offered a complete R16 and trans out of a 67 Roadster. Engine has been sitting in storage for 20 years and the guy wants it gone. My question is in regards to it's specs and buildability. What is the stock compression, chp, and tq? I am wondering if it could be swapped into my tired 77 b210 (if it would be worth it). I know nothing of this lil engine. if the swap is not worth doing would the stock SU carbs (granted the throttle shafts are not worn too bad) work on the A14 if I find or make a mani?

Any input will be greatly appriceated!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the first time I drove one (in a 70 roadster) I was surprised and impressed.

its no rocket but there pretty quick and have good tq, I was going threw the mountains up hills threw the snow line and that little motor kept doing 70 and didnt even notice or care it was going strait up mountains lol

I have been offered a complete R16 and trans out of a 67 Roadster. Engine has been sitting in storage for 20 years and the guy wants it gone. My question is in regards to it's specs and buildability. What is the stock compression, chp, and tq? I am wondering if it could be swapped into my tired 77 b210 (if it would be worth it). I know nothing of this lil engine. if the swap is not worth doing would the stock SU carbs (granted the throttle shafts are not worn too bad) work on the A14 if I find or make a mani?

Any input will be greatly appriceated!!!

Stock compression is just under 10 to 1, it requires premium non-leaded. Rated SAE Horse Power is 96 HP, a one HP per cubic inch which was really impressive back in the 60s. Don't know about the engine compartment room in the B210, but in order to fit into the 411 sedan the front end pulley system and the rear top of the cast aluminum valve cover had to be modified. Exhaust configuration require much modification to intake manifold, exhaust manifold and opening a hole in the left front inner fender liner to mate up with the muffler and tailpipes. I would have to look up the torque, but it is sufficient to run an automatic transmission [not on a roadster but optional on the SSS].

It might bolt in relativly easy. The A14 & R16 I do believe use the same timing chain & sprockets, so there are some commonalities. I had a 1600 roadster and it was actually a good runner. The R16 is way over square so it will rev all day. Look at the motor mounts, The L series has 2 sets which allows that motor to be used in a roadster. I cant remember if the R/U blocks have 2 sets of mounts or not The R/U mounts are in the front of the block and the L mounts are in the front and center of the block. All the sedans that use L motors use the center mounts. You'll just need to check the mounts out and go from there.