Tailgate repair

DanielC

All this talk of tailgates, removing letters, and pins has prompted me to start working on one of my tailgates for a Datsun 521 truck.

The tailgate at one time looked good, it had a white stripe, and the letters highlighted white, a while ago. Not now.

Some of the paint was sanded off, there are some dents in it, a few cracks welded previously.

Sorry, no pictures of when I started to work on it, but I did take a few pictures today.

DragonTailgate1.jpg

I put the left end of the tail gate into electrolysis, to help remove the rust yesterday, and took it out this afternoon. I then hosed it off, and lightly wire brushed the end that was in electrolysis.

This is what the whole tailgate looked like before I started.

DragonTailgate2.jpg

And here is a closer picture of the side that was in electrolysis.

DragonTailgate3.jpg

I also did some sanding on the tailgate, and put the rusty end back into electrolysis.

Here is my "how to" electrolysis thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/page__p__40613__hl__electrolysis__fromsearch__1#entry40613

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plans are to get the rust, and paint off it, straighten it, reform the letters, and paint it.

The last time it was painted, I used a lacquer primer on it. Years ago. My current plans are to prime it with PPG DPLF, an epoxy primer, and then top coat it, and redo the letters, and stripe.

I had the other end of the tailgate in electrolysis. I had to do one end at a time, the whole tailgate will not fit into the plastic tub I am using.

I pulled the tailgate out of electrolysis today, and hosed off the other end.

DragonTailgate4.jpg

I then wirebrushed it.

DragonTailgate6.jpg

And then I spent a little time sanding it. It now looks like this.

DragonTailgate7.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have worked on it a little, here and there, but not a lot. This tailgate has some pretty bad stretching of the metal, it had been repaired more than once.

The tailgate is really low priority. I have had to deal with my daily driver, a Ford Aerostar. My backup vehicle is a 1974 Ford F-250, and I am driving it now, since my Aerostar is getting some front end work done on it now.

I am also doing some work on Ratsun. Most recently, I had to find out why the timing chain rattled on it. The slack side chain guide was worn, and adjusted away from the timing chain. By replacing the guide with a "gently used" one, and adjusting it closer to the chain, I got the chain tensioner to retract somewhere between a 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch.

When I removed the front cover off the engine, I decided to remove the oil pan and clean it. After cleaning the oil pan, I found a lot of rust on the inside and outside surfaces of the oil pan. I attempted to weld the holes up, but the pan still has some porosity. and then I tried to braze the inside of the pan. That helped a lot, but I still see some small leaks when I put some paint thinner in the pan, and let it sit. It may also be the drain plug leaking. I got another oil pan off another engine I have.

I got the engine in Ratsun put back together yesterday, and ran it a little. I found an electrical issue, it blew the fuse that supplied power to the combo meter. Because the truck has been set up with a IR alternator, this fuse supplies power through the combo meter to the alternator, that makes the alternator start to charge.

OH, yea, you asked about a tailgate. This project is currently on hold.

no worries. i hear ya. It never ends with these cars. Even when i had a civic that thing gave me quite a fuss sometimes, Sucks about the oil pan hope you plug it up. Bu it sounds like your making some good progress on ratsun so thats good. I hate electrical problems. that's the one area i lack skills in.

well cool dude, get that dd going so you can ratsun on the road. :thumbup:

All this talk of tailgates, removing letters, and pins has prompted me to start working on one of my tailgates for a Datsun 521 truck.

The tailgate at one time looked good, it had a white stripe, and the letters highlighted white, a while ago. Not now.

Some of the paint was sanded off, there are some dents in it, a few cracks welded previously.

Sorry, no pictures of when I started to work on it, but I did take a few pictures today.

DragonTailgate1.jpg

I put the left end of the tail gate into electrolysis, to help remove the rust yesterday, and took it out this afternoon. I then hosed it off, and lightly wire brushed the end that was in electrolysis.

This is what the whole tailgate looked like before I started.

DragonTailgate2.jpg

And here is a closer picture of the side that was in electrolysis.

DragonTailgate3.jpg

I also did some sanding on the tailgate, and put the rusty end back into electrolysis.

Here is my "how to" electrolysis thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/page__p__40613__hl__electrolysis__fromsearch__1#entry40613

not bad i seen worse.keep up the good work.

• 10 months later...

It is on hold for now.  Besides, it is only about 11 months since I posted last on this thread.

I ran into some issues with he metal being very thin, due to rusting from the inside out.  Some places I could weld, other places, just touching the metal with the mig would blow about a 3/8 hole in the metal. 

In the Spring, Summer and and well into fall, I spend a lot of time waterskiing.  This fall, I have been working on Ratsun a lot, I hope to get it on the road soon.

See this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

For now, I have put another tailgate I had on the back of Dragon, this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49698-my-dragon-datsun-521/