1972 Datsun 510 Trans Am Décor Package program car/ BRE authentic parts

I would hate for a less knowledgeable Datsun/Ratsuner/enthusiast to get taken in by this, is all. I believe there is a quote there my Morton and Brock about it not being a BRE car and Kohs being simply involved in marketing. It may have a few BRE 'cast off' parts but is just a painted up 510... a very nice, probably low mileage, somewhat vintage, may have shared a garage with a real BRE car, dressed up 2 door , to be sure, but that's all. $7,500 40 year old tires? $100,000 estimated value when painted? Sheesh.... car salesmen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this car has been listed and removed so many times and at different price points too. there is guy that bought pete brocks personal street 510 a few short years ago. this guy apparently asked brock about the the "for sale car" in question, the reply was that the car is NOT authentic. thats the story anyways.

this car has been listed and removed so many times and at different price points too. there is guy that bought pete brocks personal street 510 a few short years ago. this guy apparently asked brock about the the "for sale car" in question, the reply was that the car is NOT authentic. thats the story anyways.

That guy is me. I bought Pete's car. I found out about Pete's car when this car that is advertised came up for sale back in 2007 on eBay.

I spoke to Gary Kohs and his stories had lots of conflicting info. Pete told me that Gary Kohs had bought parts from BRE but the car was never worked on by BRE and it is not a BRE car. Gary said that he had an advertising company that worked for BRE and Simoniz and they were working with Datsun to put together the package. Pete said that the company did not work for BRE or Datsun. I can't speak for the relationship between Gary and Simoniz.

The current seller bought the car from Gary Kohs from the eBay auction is 2007 for $13000.00 He bought into the belief that the car was a BRE car and later found out that it was not a BRE car. I guess that he had planned to finish the car and sell it for a profit but then realized his mistake and has been trying to get out of it ever since. It has been listed numerous times and there are no fools out there to buy it.

Bottom line is that this is a low mileage original 510 that could be a sweet BRE replica when completed. For someone with the time, money and patience, this could be a really nice car.

But then it comes down to the price. If I was to buy it, I would sell off all the cool collectibles to recoop some of the investment and put that money into getting the car back together. But none of this will happen until the price of 510s quadruples or the current seller finally decides to take a bath on it and sell it at a loss.

My guess is that it would sell for $8000 or so in its current condition with all the goodies that it comes with.

I think I will save this post so when this car shows up again in a year or two, I will not have to write this again. LOL!

Good read David. Your estimate was smack in the middle of my guess range for what it's worth including the $10,000 'worth' of spare parts. If you don't look at or discuss price there's a lot to like about this car.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.