gettin' low, really low

Ok, if anyone was at the gold. gar. show, i had the red 71 datsun 521 with the rising sun on the hood. Ok here is the real question. I want to get the 521 low as i can and still have a good ride. i've heard of this re-indexing t-bars thing, ok how does this work, and then how do you do this kind of work. also what about monoleaf the rear spring and add air shocks, no bump stops all around. pinto shocks up front? what year? i want to have somewhat of a good ride. Any help would be nice :fu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a link to my thread on how to do the torsions on your other post but here ya go again........

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=769

I wouldnt go monoleaf out back,you can remove a few leafs but make sure you leave the overload [thicker & shorter]. I removed 3 leafs & im running 3 inch blocks & the frame is 1 inch above the axle. Borderline time for a "C" notch if i wanted to go lower. BTW its dropped around 5-6 inches & rides ok unless i have apassenger or weight in the bed. Air shocks would work but if your going that low youd have to lengthen the upper mounts so they'd actually lift the truck. Pinto shocks...76 is the year i believe. PM Bleach, he did a writeup & knows the info. Heres my 521 & how she sits...

1-16loweredlevel.jpg

I believe that the pinto shock stuff is mis-information. When i open my shock book and look in the back at the specs, the pinto and the 521/620 shock has the same collapsed measurement. So how could this help if they are not any shorter?

Jason

they look the same to me in the picture

wow... :mellow:

rebuild48.jpg

the top of the shock tube is where you compare lengths. That is where the bushings go and therefore where the body of the truck mounts.

you wouldn't think I'd have to explain this

The top of the shock tube isn't where you measure shock travel! The mounting point of a shock is where you measure travel. The shock tube is located at different points on different makes of shocks for the same vehicle.

Kizz, your right they look the same to me without measuring them.

yello620, I also think the book is right on the lengths.

The top of the shock tube isn't where you measure shock travel! The mounting point of a shock is where you measure travel.

the top of the shock tube is where you put the bushing to mount it! You guys can nitpick all you want. The mounting points are shorter on the Pinto shock that I installed.

Hmm....I didnt see that little spot on the black one cause of them danged rubbers. I Stand Corrected......but wouldn't it be more useful to put something on thats a bit more then that on if your going to purchase new ones??

if there is a shorter one available, then yes it would be better.

That shock being only 3/4 inch shorter allows about 2 inches of additional travel of the wheel. The shock is very close to the inside pivot point.

It worked good on my 620 I had. I heard later that 1980-82 Nissan 4x4 front shocks are even shorter.