521 Ignition Switch Disassembly - mklotz70

mklotz70

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for sharing.

When they tried stealing my truck a while back they took my switch and cut the wiring to it on the back. I ended up grabbing another switch then I pulled the tumbler out and ground down the little tabs on the tumbler while my key was in the switch. It works fine but rekeying the switch would be better.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Mike, thanks for the vids. Am I understanding that if you take the switch mechanism out there is really no solid guarantee that you can get it back together reliably? My switch is acting funny. If you just start the truck and let go of the key, it will slip back a bit and short out the contact and stall. Same with the ACC position. Once you turn it to accessory, you may have to jiggle it a bit to get the ALT/OIL lights to come on. I am not wanting to re-key, and I don't see any 520 switches offered for sale anywhere, just the 521 switches. I believe the difference is that the wiring on the back of the switch is laid out differently. Am I doomed pretty much to getting a 521 switch and trying to wire it up? Any advice appreciated.

• Like 1

If you don't want to cut your wiring harness for the other plug, just use male spade terminals on a short length of wire.....male goes into your wiring harness, the female on the other end will go onto your plug where you need it to be. Hopefully, someone else will verify this or correct it, but I'm pretty sure there's no ACC on the 520 switch and there is on the 521.....if that's the case, you simply have one connection not made on the switch.

Yes, I was correct Mike. There are three tab connections. Two vertical with one horizontal over the top of the other two. Looking at the back of the switch there are three copper tabs bent over that I am assuming hold the switch in. I am guessing that if I am careful I can get the switch out, clean the contacts and put it back together. HOwever, I am nervous about all the springs and whatnot falling out and not knowing where they go, or how to get them back in. I will have to see if I can find a schematic somewhere.

I took a quick look at the wiring schematics. I compared it to the 620 switch since olddatsuns.com doesn't have a PL521 diagram....only an L521(which is the same as the 520).

Looks like the 3 wires are the same between them.

White ....battery

BY ....start

BW ....ignition

The ignition wire feeds everything on your 520, so the other two connectors aren't needed on the switch.

Where can I find which number corresponds to which wire? My trucks start switch is simply labeled "1,2 and 3" not "ST, IGN, BATT" So I would need to know which wire to connect to which number on the 521 switch. I am seeing that Rock Auto has them for about $23 shipped to me, But I can't see the front of the switch to make sure it is the dash mount switch I am looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a quick look at the wiring schematics. I compared it to the 620 switch since olddatsuns.com doesn't have a PL521 diagram....only an L521(which is the same as the 520).

Looks like the 3 wires are the same between them.

White ....battery

BY ....start

BW ....ignition

The ignition wire feeds everything on your 520, so the other two connectors aren't needed on the switch.

Mike, I don't mean to belabor this topic, but I am finding the 521/520 options to be pretty spendy. There are a few 620 switches on ebay that look close except for the extra connections. Are you fairly confident that I can make a 620 switch work? Do you know if I could swap bezels and key cylinders with my current 520 switch? It will save me about $50 to do so, or save me paying a lot for a used 40 year old switch.

Thanks in advance.