a 521 odyssey...........

Guest roseyroseyrose

Guest roseyroseyrose

sadly, last nite my original and ancient ignition switch gave up the ghost at the corner of park and 7th.......i knew it was the switch somehow, but i got a ride to get gas anyway, to make sure it wasnt just that.....wishful thinking!.......wen that didnt work, i called a tow truck.....i could have gotten it home by holding the key in a certain position, but i didnt want to wreck my truk trying to hold it and drive and shift at the same time.....not in the middle of university traffic, anyway......that could have been deadly, heh.....

fortunately, the tow truck driver, papa, was incredibly curious about how the truk was behaving, so he spent about 45 minutes with me, cleaning the carburetor, checking the coil and spark plug wires and the fuel pump, just to make sure i wasnt wrong about the switch......alas, i was right! heehee......he shoulda listened to me, but i was actually grateful for some input, being unsure of my current mechanical abilities.....i feel a little more confident about my skills today, fa sho.....

today i borrowed my bff pedros car and went out and bought a universal ignition switch, some 12 and 14 g wire, the appropriate terminals and a crimper......i decided i didnt want to remove the little plastic box that the terminals were plugged into and have to cut those short little wires and put o ring terminals on them instead of the spade kind that they had......it seemed like it would be easier to make the adaptors than try to cram myself into the floor to do all that work, so i made 4 inch wires with a spade on one end and an o ring on the other......i plugged it all in with the correct wires in the correct places and voila! it fucking works.......i dont think ive ever been so shocked and proud at the same time b4!!!!!

of course, i did have some major helpful hints from others,so im basically just pleased and proud that i did it properly in the end.....wow....this is pretty fun, and after my dealings with 'the mechanic', i want to do it all myself, if i can......he wanted to do stuff to my truk the easy way, like all shoddy and half-assed and thats y i wouldnt let him do the oil pan gasket at all......im picky and a perfectionist, especially about this truk; i want everything just so......soooooooo, ill fucking do it myself to make sure its done to my standards......think i can do it? i feel like im talking BIG for someone who doesnt know what im doing.....olllllzzzzzz.....here i go anyway, hope i dont fuck it up!!!!!

so far, so good!

here are some oics of what i did:

the adaptor with yelo things ( i made 1 with yelo terminals and 4 with blu terminals):

igadapt.jpg

in the next two pics i had it wired and ready to go, but i had the wires in the wrong places, so ignore where the wires r and do it like this instead:

ignition: black/red and black/white

starter: black/yello

battery: white

acc: blu/white

when i tried it with the wires wrong, it overcranked and kept trying to start instead of finishing starting and idling like it should......but i fixd it!

hkdup.jpg

hkdupcls.jpg

after that i couldnt wait to see if it worked, so i hooked it up, tried it, then rearranged wires and hooked it up again and fuckinA, it worked perfectly!!!!!

im so pleased....many thanks to them that helped me.....

plgdin.jpg

alldun.jpg

not a big project, but a big deal to me.....heh.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work Rosey. :)

I've gotten a lot of requests for help over the phone....nearly all get an email instead....you're one of maybe 4 that got a call....I enjoyed chatting with you. Sorry for the oops on the wiring connection.

Just keep looking past the jackasses that can popup. Most of them seem to think they own the place. If you check out what they post, you'll find it's mainly banter and BS....nothing about what they're actually doing, let alone any content that might be helpful. Your pic of the switch adapter will help to keep someone else from cutting their stock harness. That's a good thing :)

...oh....FiveTenzo, Datzenmike......the jackass comment had absolutely nothing to do with either of you.....but you guys could cut her a bit more than 9 min of slack.....or maybe add a smiley to let her know your teasing. :)

...and btw....if you're not teasing, don't bother posting that...it's her thread. I'd rather she shared her excitement with no pics than not share at all.

• Like 1
Guest roseyroseyrose

just part of me.....er, parts of me.......i bummed the cig tho.......

things were getting tense, so we needed a smoke......

there will be more pics as i exit.....i might as well hav fun on my way out, eh?

u should see what im doing with that radio delete......its gunna be speshul......haha......maybe ill start a how-to on that.......

"how to make a cock sock out of a radio delete"

cant wait to get started on it......

;)

• 1 year later...