L20B Automatic Flyweel Wanted!!!

Pretty self explanatory... I'm looking for an L20B flywheel / flexplate for an automatic. I'm not converting my car to a stick and I have a disassembled L20B I'd like to rebuild and install at a later date. I know most people probably throw away these flex plates, so if anyone has one for free or cheap :lol: please pm me or email me. I'll need it shipped to 63125 though. Let me know what you've got.... :P

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

What automatic are you using with the L20B?

If you know for sure it's a JATCO 3N71B or the car has a build date of April '71 or later, you should be ok with the L20B flex plate fitting the torque converter. Early model 510 automatics were one of two (at least) Borg Warner made transmissions and very very doubtful they will fit.

The 3N71B will look like this (but shorter tail) and say so on the driver's side. If you have a floor shift it will be a 3N71B for sure. There were column shift 3N71Bs but somewhat rare as they were only made for two months.

trans74620L18auto-1.jpg

Well you can try it. It will fit the L20B crank but will the torque converter bolt holes line up?

The one on the left is an L20B 3N71B auto flex plate. Probably the engine side...

enginedriveplates78620and88D-21Larg.jpg

This is a 510 automatic (B/W-35 Muncie) and all the parts for it including the flex plate. They do look similar

trans70510BorgWarner351.jpg

Do you have the 5 bolt hole B/W flex plate? Maybe use it to mark the torque converter mount holes onto the L20B plate. Or better yet have the 5 bolt converted to 6 bolt, if you have it.

Oh, and please take some photos of the transmission and any parts you have. I don't have much from the 510.

Probably should have said that. Yea B/W.

Oh it's understood. The earlier B/W was called a Lecht Worth still a Borg Warner 35 but different looking on the outside. By the name it was probably made in Britain. The Muncie from, well Indiana, where else? Rather than having to outsource automatics for their cars and trucks Nissan partnered with several other auto makers to make their own, forming the Japan Automatic Transmission Company (JATCO). JATCO transmissions are sold worldwide and first used in the 510 in April '71.

Here is another view of the 510 flexplate with the torque converter.

IMG_0191.JPG

this is the exact set up I need, do you have the thick 6 bolt spacer that goes with the flexplate

this transmission looks identical to mine.

trans70510BorgWarner351.jpg

Sorry, I was just posting a pic of what the flexplate should look like. That is on a L16. I no longer have any of that stuff.

Have you thought about measuring the thickness of the 5 hole one and then just buying the shims for the manual transmission flywheel. Rockauto shows .025 inches and .050 inches thick. Maybe you could stack a few to get the size you need.

Have you thought about measuring the thickness of the 5 hole one and then just buying the shims for the manual transmission flywheel. Rockauto shows .025 inches and .050 inches thick. Maybe you could stack a few to get the size you need.

That spacer is like 3/4 of an inch thick, I wouldn't trust stacking that many shim... It's not an instant need, I'll keep looking. I'm sure someone has something. didn't any of the early 620 trucks have a flex plate that would fit? :unsure:

I don't think the later 3N71B 6 bolt hole flex plate will work with the B/W torque converter. The converter is attached to the flex plate with 4 bolts. I suppose there is a chance that the bolt holes will line up. There again the plate may hold the torque converter too far forward of back. If too far forward, carefully fitted washers could be used to 'shim' it back. but only a few. I did this once on a Ford and worked just fine.

This is very interesting as most 510 stuff about the automatics is how to get rid of them to put a 4 or 5 speed in.

If this won't work, try finding a later 3N71B from a 510. The 620 with L16 motor to Sept. '73 may also be the correct length (26") These are the only two possibilities for a 3N71B that will fit. If you find one there is a much better chance the 6 bolt flex plat will work.

The shim (s) i took just took off my sons 79 with auto ....it`s a long one but don`t know which one it is..

datsun521020.jpg

datsun521019.jpg

Snout goes through flexplate and thinner spacer

datsun521.jpg

Do you still need them ?? ...... Posts above have me confused ...but that`s pretty easy

Those are spacer plates. (I guess you could call them shims) The one in your hand is actually the pilot-converter plate and the back one is the crank to converter plate. Not really shims but a support plate to prevent cracking around the bolt holes on the thin flex plate..

Later automatics had a pucker that fit the front spacer. Maybe all 6 bolt did but the earlier ones didn't.

6203N71B003Large.jpg

The shim (s) i took just took off my sons 79 with auto ....it`s a long one but don`t know which one it is..

datsun521020.jpg

datsun521019.jpg

Snout goes through flexplate and thinner spacer

datsun521.jpg

Do you still need them ?? ...... Posts above have me confused ...but that`s pretty easy

This is the exact set up I need. I need the flexplate,the shim, that thick spacer with the snout and if possible the six mounting bolts too. (the automatic bolts are a little longer than the manual trans mounting bolts) Are you interested in selling this set up?

This is the exact set up I need. I need the flexplate,the shim, that thick spacer with the snout and if possible the six mounting bolts too. (the automatic bolts are a little longer than the manual trans mounting bolts) Are you interested in selling this set up?

I did notice the bolts were longer by a tiny bit..I thought you already got the flexplate ??I posted these because i am very pretty kinda sure i am never going to use these again...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.