steering shaft removal

Siqx20

Im about to pull my cab off but cant figure out how to remove my steering column. I thought i knew how and i was wrong. tried searching and all i found was how NOT to remove it. lol so now i need to kno how i DO remove it. plz help. need a answer asap before i lose motivation for the day lol

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First pop the tie rods off the pitman arm.

Then pull the steering wheel, shroud and blinker assy.

You have to unbolt it from the dash, the firewall and the steering box at the frame.

Then it should come out from the engine bay. You may want to pull the radiator for that if you haven't already.

Edit: Gear oil will run out if you tilt it up for too long :)

As stated above. It helps of the engine is already out, but I've pulled one with the engine still in. It did dump oil all over the cab floor. If the engine is out it's possible, though not nearly as easy, to pull the steering box through the core support (where the radiator and grille should be) but it's easier to just go up and over.

Oh, what wasn't stated is you remove the steering gearbox and column tube all as one unit.

I just did this last week and the only thing that prevented me from pulling it out was the brake booster once that was out of the way it lifted straight out, slap a rubber glove over the end of the shaft so you dont get gear oil all over ( if yours is half as bad as mine its empty anyway :blink: )