POR 15 questions

i got hit by another driver on her phone a month or two ago and i finally have all the parts i needed to fix the damage caused. Sooooo i started down the road to recovery and imporvement:) I called my aunt to borrow her truck for a bit and started to strip mine down.. Time for a few pics then the questions:

19b68228.jpg

1b211ea0.jpg

the replacement:

285789_236543539700995_100000360528308_826586_899411_n.jpg

stripped and sanded

13591d7e.jpg

second coat of primer

e4fe56b6.jpg

heres where i come to the questions:

a fellow Ratsuner and i scrapped all of this undercoating vvv

bf02903c.jpg

out of here vvv

2e724128.jpg

My question is now that i have it almost ready is there anything else i should to here before i POR 15 the fender wells?I have them roughed up and ready but i wanted to make sure im not missing a step. I know im not gunna get a 2nd chance at this.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've followed the directions as closely as possible and haven't had any issues.

Directions for those who don't read directions on POR15's site. We used the foam brushed for the Marine Clean application, then spray bottles for the Prep & Ready and regular paint brushed for the actual POR 15 rust inhibitor.

Those bastards!

indeed micro!!!! she was a real peach to deal with too <_<

We've followed the directions as closely as possible and haven't had any issues.

Directions for those who don't read directions on POR15's site. We used the foam brushed for the Marine Clean application, then spray bottles for the Prep & Ready and regular paint brushed for the actual POR 15 rust inhibitor.

now that is an awesome set of instruction to have BEFORE starting and should be a stickey IMO!!!! Thank you datwifey

Just a quick note, I talked to the POR guys a bit and if you want the BEST rust prevention then it has to be put on bare metal (or already rusted metal) If you put it over paint it will create a barrier for moisture but it will not stop rust if it gets under the paint htats already there (Super unlikely I know)

I used a regular brush for the POR and sprayed both the marine clean and the metal ready.

Yeah, if you've got an additional spray bottle for the Marine Clean, it's easier. The foam brushes do okay, but they start to disintegrate from the chemicals.

And I've heard that too about putting it over paint. We've done our best to get down to bare metal as much as possible on all of the shit we've used it on. The more time and attention you put into it, the more you ensure that it's being done properly...... ;)

Nice lookin fender man, where did you pick that up? lol

285789_236543539700995_100000360528308_826586_899411_n.jpg

What kind of stripper did you use, would you use it again?

tongue.gif - thanx again - told ya id put it to good use biggrin.gif I used an "ACE Hardware" brand stripper in a spray can and ya id use it again. spray - watch the paint bubble - scrape off resulting goo with paint scrapper - Done laugh.gif

Did you use dry ice or heat to remove the undercoating?

LOLZmlol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflaugh.gif

download.jpg

brute force - and elbow grease

The first coat did not cover everything there were small spots that looked to me like the POR 15 "shrunk" just a little as it dried but their instruction call for no less than 2 coats. After i did my second coat everything was good. I did do a 3rd coat just for the shiggles of it tho. Ive done 3 coats on the inside of the both fenders/ the valance/ both fender wells/ and i have my first coat on the drivers side floor boards and back wall of the cab and id guess im 2/3 of the way through a quart can. I do like it though. When you tap on the sheet metal with no POR 15 is makes a Tinking sound, when you tap on the metal with POR 15 its much more of a thunking sound :) Im happy with it so far!

• 1 month later...