L20B 5spd to Z22 Engine??

Solid720

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will bolt up BUT, because the L20B engine is leaning over to the driver's side 12 degrees from vertical, the L transmission will have to rotate towards the passenger side by this amount to fit the more vertically positioned Z series engine. This will cause the shifter to lean over into the passenger seat. Additionally, the rear transmission mount will also be angled and won't bolt to the cross member. I suppose if you modify the rear mount/cross member and bend the shifter to the left it will work.

For a bolt in transmission you need a NAPS Z series 5 spd transmission from an '81- '86 1/2 720 truck (non 4X4), '80-'83 200sx, '81 HL510. These all had either a Z20,Z22 or Z24 NAPS motors in them.

There are two different lengths of transmission for the 720 and I've never quite found out why some are short and some long. As long as your replacement is the same length it will fit. The long is about 31 1/2" and the short is about 26" so measure from the mating surface at the engine to the start of the drive shaft.

It will bolt up BUT, because the L20B engine is leaning over to the driver's side 12 degrees from vertical, the L transmission will have to rotate towards the passenger side by this amount to fit the more vertically positioned Z series engine. This will cause the shifter to lean over into the passenger seat. Additionally, the rear transmission mount will also be angled and won't bolt to the cross member. I suppose if you modify the rear mount/cross member and bend the shifter to the left it will work.

For a bolt in transmission you need a NAPS Z series 5 spd transmission from an '81- '86 1/2 720 truck (non 4X4), '80-'83 200sx, '81 HL510. These all had either a Z20,Z22 or Z24 NAPS motors in them.

There are two different lengths of transmission for the 720 and I've never quite found out why some are short and some long. As long as your replacement is the same length it will fit. The long is about 31 1/2" and the short is about 26" so measure from the mating surface at the engine to the start of the drive shaft.

Thank you very much for the reply. I need the "long" trans for my truck. It's my understanding that the 4X4's had the short trans. I've located a few with prices ranging from $75 to $350. Not sure what the "going rate" is for a used 20+ year old trans.. :)

Doug, was that a dog leg w NAPS bolt pattern? A guy on another forum replaced his 720 5 spd with a re-build (perfect fit) and complained that the shift pattern changed. If the new one haden't broken he would have left it in but was going to take it out. I asked for pictures of it... nothing so far.

The trans out of the L20b will work, provided that the transmission is a 71 cm and not a 63cm transmission.

The 2wd 720 truck used a 71cm transmission it is identical to a L series tranny , but the bellhousing from a Nap z motor must be used.

Nissan never made a Dog Leg 71 cm tansmission, I have heard of using a Napz bellhousing with a 63cm "dogleg" transmission in a 4x4 720 truck.Personally, I think the 63cm dogleg trannys are POS as I have locked them up in 1st, 3rd and 5th.

There's no such thing as a 71cm tranny. The 71 refers to the distance (in mm) between the centerline of the main shaft and the counter shaft. The FS5W71B used on the 620/720 is about 31 and a half inches long, or near 80cm. The shorter tail stock FS5W71B is about 26" long or near 67cm.

Nissan never made a Dog Leg 71 cm transmission,

True, but they did make 31.5" long ones.

Here's a picture of a long tail dog leg 5 spd from an 810 Maxima L24:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transDogleglongtail63afroman810L24.jpg[/img]"]transDogleglongtail63afroman810L24.jpg

And this one is Phatdave's I think he said i was a dog leg. Looks like one, Dave??

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg[/img]"]transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

To compare,

Here's a short tail dog leg from a '78 510:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transDoglegshort78510.jpg[/img]"]transDoglegshort78510.jpg

I pulled a 5 speed tranny from my brothers 810 wagon years ago and it had the standard shift pattern.I used the 63cm and the 71cm as a description for the "long" and "short" Nissan trannys that were used on the L and Napz engines.If Nissan did make a dogleg "long" tranny I have personally never seen or even heard of one until now(it has to be very rare, or never used in a US model), I then stand corrected. I would still say that if it had the same internals as the standard "dogleg" tranny it`s a POS.

When drag racing a 720 4x4 transmission was used with a L series bellhousing, being a "standard" shift pattern it`s a much stronger tranny.

The transmission held up fine to a couple of seasons of hard drag launches with a 3 liter L28 stroker with a port shot of N20 ,260rwh , 289 fpt a mid/ low 12 second car on slicks.

I'm no fan of the dog leg. 510s use them rather than a (much better) FS5W71B with balls, mainly so they don't have to mod the driveshaft. Don't care for the pattern either though it's supposed to make the 4-5 shift easier and faster for racing. How many times do you make that shift on the street? I'd rather have a straight pull back into second on the street, or anywhere.

I'm trying to get a photo of a dogleg that fits a NAPS Z engine. Now that's rare. Guy hasn't got back yet.

Have you looked at the FS5W71C? It has upgraded internals and wider body. The L bell would need mods to fit the shift rails but 240 owners rave about them. I believe Icehouse put a NAPS bell on one for his KA 620, and had to drill out the mating shift rail holes. (L similar)

FS5W71C in front FS5W71B fitted for a NAPS Z series engine in back.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transFS5W71CandFS5W71B-1.jpg[/img]"]http://transFS5W71CandFS5W71B-1.jpg

510s use them rather than ...

Don't care for the pattern either though it's supposed to make the 4-5 shift easier and faster for racing. How many times do you make that shift on the street?

i like the quicker 2<-->3 shift in the canyons/corners :thumbup:

mine has taken a lot of abuse so far :blink:

i do have a spare :D

If you have the original Z22/24 720 transmission, you can swap the bell housing section of the transmissions from one to the other and bolt it into your 720 truck using the 720 bellhousing on the older L20B transmission.

The information I've found is the front counter shaft bearing size may be different and may need to be swapped, but if both are trucks, they may be the same diameter. Also the shifter rod diameter may be different and require bushings to use the Z22/24 bellhousing on the L20B transmission.

A KA24 transmission can be used as an alternate. The KA and Z series engines have the same tilt and both transmissions will bolt to the 720 Z engine providing the proper shifter and transmission mounting angle. The location(s) of shifter and transmission mount look very similar in the photo provided by DatzenMike, but AFIK a direct match would need to be verified.

Here is a link to how to install a 240SX (KA24) 5 speed into a 280Z (L28). Lots of good information.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/240sxtransmissioninstall/index.html