521 door panel re-do

Guest roseyroseyrose

Guest roseyroseyrose

i just started the door panels and im still having problems finding the trim clips that will work......im headed to panchos auto upholstery as soon as the mechanic wakes up.....i also hav to get some windshield wipers cuz i missed an appt this morning cuz the old ones crumbled and i hadnt replaced them......but thats another thing altogether......

the door panel boards r in pretty bad shape, fragile and slightly warped, but being a fibre artist and having restored b4, im gonna giv it a try to recycle these boards and use em......

first im gonna make a template with the best one so in case i wreck them trying to save them i have the pattern i need to make new ones......

then im gonna wet the boards slightly and use a couple of cookie sheets weighted with big rocks to flatten them......if that works and they dont fall apart, im gonna get some posterboard and reinforce each side of each board using the heavy duty hi-temp(a gud idea for AZ) fast tack that i bot and see if that helps to bolster their integrity.......ill post some oics shortly, cuz im gonna go make the template and attempt the flattening right now......

here r the door panels in their unseemly state and the paper template i made just in case......one paper grocery bag is just the right size for this for the 521......if i need to replace the wood ill make a cardboard template from that.....

drpnl1-1.jpg

drpnl2.jpg

71521tmplt-1.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was asking because we found the metal ones on nissanparts.cc for a better price than we found on ebay. I can't remember the part number, but can find them baggy we have of them tonight at home if she's got the same ones. The plastic ones seem to be much easier to find though.

EDIT: after looking at your panel and template, I assume you have the plastic ones now. The ones that I've seen on other 521s in the junkyards with those clips are similar to this.... if I recall correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Door-Panel-Clips-DATSUN-620-PICKUP-/180472604294?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a05016686

Guest roseyroseyrose

I thought i've seen both at my local napa auto parts. Check ebay too, they seem to come up on there somewhat often.

i bot some yesterday at napa, but they needed to be modified to work and i did it and they didnt work anyway......the guy at napa wouldnt let me at the book to look at them all, he wanted to decide which ones might work......if panchos doesnt hav what i want, im going back to napa and snatching that book out of his hands, even if i am a girl.....i wanna pick my own clips dammit!!!!! haha:frantics:

I ended up using a sheet of pegboard to replace the panels, and covered it in fabric (couch fabric, I think). For the clips, well, I had lots of old panels to scavenge from. Mine is a 520 so the clips were the older metal type. The plastic ones, AFAIK they're the same used in most Datsuns through the early 80s.

Mine turned out like this.

panels01.JPG

panels14.JPG

panels18.JPG

panels20.JPG

Guest roseyroseyrose

Yeah, I was asking because we found the metal ones on nissanparts.cc for a better price than we found on ebay. I can't remember the part number, but can find them baggy we have of them tonight at home if she's got the same ones. The plastic ones seem to be much easier to find though.

EDIT: after looking at your panel and template, I assume you have the plastic ones now. The ones that I've seen on other 521s in the junkyards with those clips are similar to this.... if I recall correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a05016686

they are the plastic ones.....ill post a pic of them....the ebay link ones do look more like mine that the ones i bot at napa......im interested in the metal ones tho, i think theyd be better for AZ....the sun here eats plastic all day long......im searching nissanparts.cc but not doing very well......do u hav a parts # ? thanks!!!

drclp521.png

Guest roseyroseyrose

I ended up using a sheet of pegboard to replace the panels, and covered it in fabric (couch fabric, I think). For the clips, well, I had lots of old panels to scavenge from. Mine is a 520 so the clips were the older metal type. The plastic ones, AFAIK they're the same used in most Datsuns through the early 80s.

Mine turned out like this.

panels01.JPG

panels14.JPG

panels18.JPG

panels20.JPG

When I re-did mine I used dry erase board and put the white side in as an added barrier to moisture. Then since I was starting with a blank panel, I could choose my clips at the local parts store, and drill my holes accordingly. It worked pretty slick.

Consider Kraft Tan Wateproof Panelboard My link for the door panels (since it is already moisture-resistant). However, this material is designed for sewing door panels and therefore is less dense (and lighter). Since I have the fibreboard and am already applying polyurethane to the kick panels, I may not use the panelboard.

Keith

Guest roseyroseyrose

so, i sprayed down each door panel and the pieces with water, both sides, and then weighted them down with rocks from my yard......now i just have to wait and let the sun do its job.......im gonna clean the truk while i wait.....yay!

i decided to use a layer of canvas or denim to make them stronger.....

drpnlspry1.png

drpnlwt.png

Guest roseyroseyrose

so, i sprayed down each door panel and the pieces with water, both sides, and then weighted them down with rocks from my yard......now i just have to wait and let the sun do its job.......im gonna clean the truk while i wait.....yay!

i decided to use a layer of canvas or denim to make them stronger.....

drpnlspry1.png

drpnlwt.png

so, i got the door panels really nice and flat and they held together, i pieced the broken one back together with duct tape and then decided to use laminate on one side to make them stronger......i found a recycled sheet at gersons used building materials here in tucson for like $12.....its unrolled and weighted down right now to flatten it, before i apply it......while i was at gersons i found these two square heavy duty rubber tiles and i bot them for $1.89 each......when i got them to the truk, they fit perfectly as new floor mats!!!!!1/4" thick floor mats for under $5, im all happy.......its taking me so long to do this, i really want to see the end result!!!!!

flattening the laminate:

lmntflttn.png

rubber tiles im using for floor mats.....n a lil somethin xtra for u foot fetishists.....im such a ho.....:D

rbbrflmt1.png

they fit on the floor exactly perfectly!

rbbrflrmt.png