16.5 volts at idle to battery

laniadude

About 5 days ago, i went out to my truck to warm it up before heading to work. I had the heater on and the parking lights as well. then about 5 mins later i got in and put it in reverse. As soon as I pulled the light switch all the way out to turn the headlights on, everything shut off. the engine, the lights, everything. I ended up taking the wifes car to work. anyway i got home and traced it down to the fusible link failing. I replace it with a slighlty smaller gage wire. But now the charge light is slightly lit (dim) and when i checked the voltage at the battery to see if its still charging the battery and the meter read 16.57 volts. I know that is way too high for charging in this system. But i dont know what is causing it. I have a small amp and a player with just 6X9's but it was working totally fine before the incident. now the amp seems like it has a mind of its own.. turning on and off when it feels like... so I just leave the player off... voltage regulator bad? how do i test it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... that was actually my first thought.... I just wanted to be sure.... thanks

If you want to triple check, run by your local autozone and have them do a 'system test' on it. While your there, pick up a new voltage regulator. I think they were $20-30? DON'T BUY TRUGRADE brand if you do buy from Autozone. They are garbage.

Yup sounds like the voltage regulator. Good call.

My guess on the amp is that it has some type of overvoltage protection and that you are probably right at the threshold of tripping it.

Also that fusible probably burned out in response to the increased voltage and current.

well, i was looking at autozone and they were about 90 bucks... napa was 98 bucks... i would love to pay $20-$30 for one.. rock auto has them for $15-$60..

Whattttt? No way! I just checked the other day. Your region must have some insane managers.

If need be, I can phone order one @ my store and ship it to you at my cost.

Honestly, It would probably just make sense to go to an IR alternator. You can get a later Z car alternator @ 60 amps for around $60. Bolts straight onto the mounts.

LIke I said before its alot bigger and could hit the idler arm depending on the type of alternator mount you have.

remember the later 620 even with the L20 uswd a 35amp alternator. SIZE

there is a way to do it but to lazy to look it all up.try the electrical section

I cheated and ground down the end of my idler arm nut. I have a l16 with a 50 amper so I hade to drill out the alternator mount to 3/8 as they use a smaller bolt. used a big thru 3/8 bolt.

remember the jumpers

I swapped in a Internally Regulated Alt. a few weeks ago ..... . and now everything works fine..... road trip.... headlights everything

... except the battery goes dead over-night if I leave it hooked up ..... :huh:

The slow drain on the battery goes away if I un-plug the "T-plug" from the alternator ... . wht/red stripe to "chg light" ... and solid white to the fuse box

OK... so I completed the napz alt swap... a 35.5 inch belt was the perfect length allowing a lot of clearance for future adjustments... my amp stays on now (I really thought it had a mind of it's own)... and I spliced the wires behind the stock regulator so it looks factory... thanks to everyone that helped

Especially Elmer for the NAPZ alt.....