Noob questions about 620 pickups

Willdatsun

Okay some questions for y'all so you can educate me on 620s.

Are the radiator panels different between J series and L series powered 620s?

Does a kingpin front suspension work just as good as balljoints if it is all in good condition? Does it drive the same?

Did the kingcab ever get sold outside USA/Canada, and ever in RH drive form?

Why do I see some 620s with the gearlever really far back and the seat has a cutout around the gearlever, and some do not have this design, stick is further forward.

When you do a disc brake conversion does anyone fit a splash shield like factory discs always have?

Are the doors the same on models with and without vent windows?

Are the doors on Kingcabs the same as standard cabs?

Is the chassis identical for J and L series versions (L mount towers from a USA 620 bolt right up to chassis that was J powered) ?

Thankyou!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay some questions for y'all so you can educate me on 620s.

Are the radiator panels different between J series and L series powered 620s?

Yes, though the J-series panel may be removable from the core support

Does a kingpin front suspension work just as good as balljoints if it is all in good condition? Does it drive the same?

Pretty much. The main difference was the balljoint ones were also factory disc brakes. Balljoints are USUALLY easier to replace, but both wear out about the same.

Did the kingcab ever get sold outside USA/Canada, and ever in RH drive form?

Don't know, I've never personally seen a RHD KC.

Why do I see some 620s with the gearlever really far back and the seat has a cutout around the gearlever, and some do not have this design, stick is further forward.

Later L-series 620s used a longer transmission. There were 4 types of manual trans used in a 620, the column-shift 63 series, the floor-shift 63 series, and the floor-shift 71 series (4 and 5-speeds). The 71 series is physically longer, hence the shifter further back and the notched seat. In North America only the 72-73 got the short floor-shift (no column-shifts in the US). Outside N/A I suspect that most J-series ones used the short trans but I don't know that for sure.

When you do a disc brake conversion does anyone fit a splash shield like factory discs always have?

I haven't seen one, but you'd just make it out of sheet metal

Are the doors the same on models with and without vent windows?

There's differences to fit the wing portion, and the regulator assembly is quite a bit different. You could probably convert one though if you had all the parts of both

Are the doors on Kingcabs the same as standard cabs?

Yes

Is the chassis identical for J and L series versions (L mount towers from a USA 620 bolt right up to chassis that was J powered) ?

L-series towers are bolted to a welded on perch. But it depends on where the J-series mounts are. Early ones did not have midblock mounts, they were up by the timing cover. Late ones did have midblock mounts. Whether the perch is different or not I don't know, but they're close.

I know they have RHD kingcabs in Japan, I have seen pictures of them. I am not sure about the other countries!! The thing about kingcabs in Japan, you just dont see that many of them. At least in magazines and shows that I have seen...But never been there! Look close and you can see the steering wheel on the right

photo0189.jpg

photo061-1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just bumping this thread as I have found KCs for sale in Australia :)

Some more Qs for you 620 geeks.....

Can later (balljoint) front suspension be bolted up to early chassis or are the wishbone mounts different?

Why are some radiator support panels straight and some step fowards in the middle, (both L series engine trucks though!)

Were USA trucks L16 to start with then replaced by L20 or were they offered at the same time?

What differential ratio do they run and is it the same on L16 and L20 vehicles, and is it same on 5 speed equipped ones or automatic ones?

Did King Cabs always have separate seats or did they do them with a bench seat?

Are 720 disc brakes the same as 620 ones?

Any idea why some 620s that are changed from J series to L series have bulged hoods? Is it because people don't have the correct sump for the engine to sit down low?

Thanks a lot!

I don't believe you can bolt the '78-'79 suspension up to the earlier frames. The core support changed (I believe) in '75 and, I'm not exactly sure why, but, I think it might've been a clearance issue with the lower radiator hose and the alternator...Again, not sure on that. As for the seats in the King Cabs, I've only seen them with the buckets...the cab & chasis models came with buckets as well. The L-16 was in the 620 the first year '72.5-'73, the L-18 in '74, and finally the L-20B in '75.

Just bumping this thread as I have found KCs for sale in Australia :)

Some more Qs for you 620 geeks.....

Can later (balljoint) front suspension be bolted up to early chassis or are the wishbone mounts different?

They are different and will not bolt up.

Why are some radiator support panels straight and some step fowards in the middle, (both L series engine trucks though!)

Here they were used with all '75-'79 L20B motors for rad clearance. There were 3 core rad options.

Were USA trucks L16 to start with then replaced by L20 or were they offered at the same time?

Separate. L16 till Sept '73. L18 till Aug. '74. L20Bs after.

What differential ratio do they run and is it the same on L16 and L20 vehicles, and is it same on 5 speed equipped ones or automatic ones?

L16 standards..... 4.375

L16 automatics.... 4.625

L18 all.................. 4.375

L20B all................ 4.375 ... except the '79 manual 4 and 5 speeds...... 4.11

Did King Cabs always have separate seats or did they do them with a bench seat?

I don't know. Bucket seats were available on Deluxe and Camper.

Are 720 disc brakes the same as 620 ones?

Yes but only till June '82 or the beginning of the '83 model year.

Any idea why some 620s that are changed from J series to L series have bulged hoods? Is it because people don't have the correct sump for the engine to sit down low?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry the last J series engine was used in the '69 L521 about 3 years before the 620 came out. All 620s are L equipped.

Mike, 620s outside the US/Canada used J13s and J15s. Heck, there were even J-series 720s. What ended the J-series in Africa and Asia was markets going to Diesel.

Why the hood bulge, probably because of the wrong sump, but you'd have to alse cut the transmission tunnel to move the engine up that high. US spec 620s with L20Bs used the same hood as a J15 equipped Mexican 620. In fact the only difference in sheet metal from a J15 to an L-series is the core support, since the L-series is longer. The core support has brackets on the J-series trucks extend further into the engine bay to take up the gap. The other difference has nothing to do with engine- every market except the US and Canada had wing windows in the doors.

King Cab seats- yes, some had benches, but while is was "standard" it was actually a rare item, as most King Cabs were "Deluxe" editions that had buckets standard.

Thats some excellent info, I'm learning all the time, didn't know they came with L18. All our UK trucks were J15 and our early 720s were J16 (eeek!) yes we got vent windows. We only got longbed trucks and no KCs, and I think we only got 3 colours, red, white or blue, although I did see a photo of the remains of a yellow one once. But seriously, the number of UK spec 620s still in one piece in the whole of the UK is around.. two, and I don't even know for sure if either of them are on the road. When my 620 arrives in the UK it will turn some heads, thats for sure. There will be 'wow I used to have one of those in nineteen eighty blaa' .

Yeah, the lack of 620s in the UK is why I think RatDat (who is also in Sussex?) ended up giving up on his after being 75% done (he had no bed and couldn't find one). At least I think he gave up... it's no longer listed on his list of cars he owns. I can't believe the rust problems you have over there. We have rust issues here, too, but even in the Rainy Northwest Datsuns are plentiful, and they have survived 35 years anyway. I have 5 620s myself, and I've only ever given up on one due to rust. No inspections here, though. Now, get to the midwest and East Coast of the US, where they use salt for the winterlong snows, Datsuns rusted away decades ago for the most part.