Finally got my 1200 and it has a dead engine

kinetisist

Well I finally got my neighbor to sell me his 1200 that had been sitting in his yard for a year .... I saw it run last year and was told it got over heated but ran ....well that was not true .. it turns over but does not run ..no compression ...needs a heart transplant....looking or differnent options...I also need some other parts ..wing window and a new set of locks with a key...and maybe some other parts ..

thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check and adjust your valves ,,, take your time ,,, :)

perform a compression check ,,, dry ,,, and wet ,,, with a good fully charged battery ,,, and throttle wide open during compression testing ,,, 3-5 clicks should do it :)

record your numbers in a log book ! keep it in the car ( that's what I do ;) )

I'm going to part out one, and have wing windows and most of the car. Let me know what you need.

Todd

i definitely need a passenger wing and locks and keys for all locks including ignition ..mine are toast .. and no key

also the pass side was damaged so if you are scaping the car i need the sheet metal around the vents

david

measured each cylinder with all plugs out and #1 n 4 are at 30 and 2 n 3 are at 0 ... added oil and they all bumped up .. talked with local mechanic and he said head and gasket ...told me to pull the head so that is the next step .. but if cylinders are toast I will need a replacement engine..

posted pics in my gallery .. thanks for the help

david

Damn, always liked that color on a 1200, good looking car, and as you have probably figured out this place is full of pic whores :lol:

gallery_10775_1042_100288.jpg

One other thing to check if the car sat for a long time: Old gas can stick valves open in the guides. This can even happen when running fresh gas through "varnished" fuel lines. Valves stick in the open position = no compression. If you haven't pulled the valve cover to check this yet you might consider it. It's gotta come off to do the head gasket anyway. I know you said that it was overheated - so it probably is the headgasket but since nobody had mentioned stuck valves I thought I'd mention it. Keep us posted.