521 fever... its a sickness really. what madness have i started...

POURing over the threads, like a love crazed idiot, I've come up with some definitive ideas for a 521... Mind you, i dont think this first one is going to get this treatment (my 17yo daughter is likely to get this one since its so complete and clean (and a safe, rebuilt 1300cc's), its just too nice to make a streeter). BUT, i AM interested in what the community thinks of the list of potential changes for the NEXT 521 to hit my driveway:

l20b

zx 5speed (do they have a short throw shifter for this? need to look)

re-gear the rearend to 3.90

lsd (sometime...or never)

disk brake kit

shortened steering column

sway bar(s)

bucket seats

steering wheel

dash cleanup

custom center console

redo floorboards (since i havent seen one that didnt need it...)

carpet kit

electric window and door lock kit(s)

dynomat the cab

spray-in bedliner

wider wheels to soak up the new HP (though I like the steely look, Chevy?)

paint (prolly last, maybe first, or never, lol)

Maybe its ambitious, maybe its ridiculous, but whatever it is, it sure sounds like fun to build, and subsequently drive. power to weight ratio will just be too stupidly fun to pass up (even if my checkbook is already crying...).

So, thoughts? Is this gonna work? Fail? Am i an idiot (dont be shy, i've been called an idiot before :P)? Should I just build as close to stock as possible and leave the tuning to the 510 guys?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do what you feel comfortable doing with it. A Datsun only reflects the love an owner puts into it. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, thats what makes this site so awesome!!!

Just don't get halfway into the project, get bored wit it and then hafta send it to the crusher :(

dont be ashamed. it happened to me as well:unsure: datsuns have a way of suckering us all in. otherwise none of us on this threat would be looking a proud member of ratsun. I like all of your ideas. your list looks just like my old original list like the one wen i first picked up my first 521. boy it is countageous. the disk brake convertion is the best one of all. dont do what i did i made my truck faster than stock but left the brakes stock. then i ended up unde3r a bumper of a lifted suv totalled my ride. now that i was given another one or traded some work for one, i did it the better way discs on all four corners with booster. it stops like a brand new car. its not too expensive i did all the work my self. cutting the brake brackets from scratch n all:D. it wasnt that hard to do the convertion at all. i got all the 411 from this incredidable site RATSUN. now my 12 yr old son has thi 521 sickness i had to buy him one as well but it was a rare barn find. i stay in the valley where you still seee stuff like such. good luck.

Just do what you feel comfortable doing with it. A Datsun only reflects the love an owner puts into it. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, thats what makes this site so awesome!!!

Just don't get halfway into the project, get bored wit it and then hafta send it to the crusher :(

^ ^ ^ What he said.. :cool:

They used to make them back in the day but only after market ones. They would be very hard to find now and very well used anyway. The Roadster had them but the axle splines are different. I think there may be locker types available but starting around $500 and up??? Hell it's not something like paint where everyone can see and admire it and you don't really need one anyway. I would put it at the bottom of the list.

They used to make them back in the day but only after market ones. They would be very hard to find now and very well used anyway. The Roadster had them but the axle splines are different. I think there may be locker types available but starting around $500 and up??? Hell it's not something like paint where everyone can see and admire it and you don't really need one anyway. I would put it at the bottom of the list.

Rear end options to support the new HP then?

The stock 521 rear end will easily handle a KA motor. They are good for almost 200 ft. lbs. of torque, more than enough. If you feel you need an LSD you will have to look into a 8.8 Mustang diff. They did come (some of them) with disc brakes too. Probably have to drill the axles for 6 bolt lugs. Some fabrication required.

leave as is or maybe snag one from a 720 (not sure if track width is the same though)

The later 4x4 720 did use a C-200 which will handle even more torque but there still wasn't an LSD option on them.

D-21 Hardbodys have a monster H-233 that came with 4.375 and 4.625 LSDs and Pathfinder axles with a disc brake option can be swapped into them. They are an ungodly weight though and almost 60" wide. I think HRH put something like this in his D-21. How far the the axles will stick out on a 521, I don't know... Probably a couple of inches a side.

D-21 Hardbodys have a monster H-233 that came with 4.375 and 4.625 LSDs and Pathfinder axles with a disc brake option can be swapped into them. They are an ungodly weight though and almost 60" wide. I think HRH put something like this in his D-21. How far the the axles will stick out on a 521, I don't know... Probably a couple of inches a side.

fender flares should solve that for the most part anyways

Had a great chat with Troy over at ermish racing (found here), near me over here in fremont, ca. Talked about engine options, output, etc.. After some banter, looks like I can get the 120ish rwhp im looking for with an l20b. Keeps the install easy, zx trans, some basic wiring... done. Also says he and a buddy are working on an LSD option that will work on my 521, so thats encouraging.

So now that its ordered, i guess ill start reading up on how the hell im going to get that steering wheel shortened... feels like im drivin' miss daisy.