Bitten by the 411 bug

danfiveten

So for those of you who dont know me, im dan uphoff's son, always been into 510's, and 620's.

My wife loves roadsters, but then she saw her first 411, and it was a wagon and loved it. Then she saw gregs sss 411 and knew that she wants a 411 sss more than a roadster. So it seems quite fitting that im buying this from Greg

IMAG1095.jpg

Ive been totally bitten by the 411 bug as well, reading up on them, seeing the ka swap, (i plan on leaving the r16 in) but theres some very nice ones out there and i love them.

Figured id make a thread here, and when i get it home keep updates here to. Greg is a great guy and taking payments from me, he gets the first here in the next couple of days. As you all know hes done alot of work to this car already, and he did ALOT of work. Just want a feeler to what you guys think of what im going to do.

As for the exterior, Unless i can one day find a good front bumper, the valance hes got has the bumper locations molded out, looks good, so unless i find a good bumper, or can get the guy on here to restore one into great shape, it wont happen. Antenna hole will be molded out on the fender since for some reason theres one on the rear as well which will be replaced with a power antenna.. Paint will be Purple.

purple.jpg Like this but a lil darker.

Plans are to have it match my purple 510, im waiting on my 510 untill my son is a bit older, she runs and drives great as is, but i want it to be something for me and him to build together, like me and my dad did his red 510.

IMG_0483.jpg

So the 411 and my 510 are going to match, and will be his and her cars when im done with my 510 in the future. Both enkei 80's and close to same interiors.

Interior wise im running off close to what my dad has in his red 510. I love sentra seats, they are comfortable, and i have a bad back, and its awsome Greg has the same seats already in the car, and my dad has 2 good ones i may be able to get from him, and a rear that has some stains that i can have a shop get otu and use to recover the back seat. Im going to run with a style close to what my dads red 510 is, its a comfortable car, and feels newer inside, which is what i want for when we drive the car. To be comfortable, and have a touch of newness inside.

IMAG1129.jpg

IMAG1130.jpg

IMAG1132.jpg

In the long run i want her to look good, Run on the correct drivetrain for what she is, gotta love those lil r16's :) and look like a lil older version of my 510 :). Also using this as a way to say hi to you guys, and that there will be another 411 on the road within the year. Hopefully she will be painted and running around before canby, and with any luck the interior will be done before blue lake.

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for those of you who dont know me, im dan uphoff's son, always been into 510's, and 620's.

My wife loves roadsters, but then she saw her first 411, and it was a wagon and loved it. Then she saw gregs sss 411 and knew that she wants a 411 sss more than a roadster. So it seems quite fitting that im buying this from Greg

challengerpurple.jpg

purple.jpg

Ive been totally bitten by the 411 bug as well, reading up on them, seeing the ka swap, (i plan on leaving the r16 in) but theres some very nice ones out there and i love them.

Figured id make a thread here, and when i get it home keep updates here to. Greg is a great guy and taking payments from me, he gets the first here in the next couple of days. As you all know hes done alot of work to this car already, and he did ALOT of work. Just want a feeler to what you guys think of what im going to do.

As for the exterior, Unless i can one day find a good front bumper, the valance hes got has the bumper locations molded out, looks good, so unless i find a good bumper, or can get the guy on here to restore one into great shape, it wont happen. Antenna hole will be molded out on the fender since for some reason theres one on the rear as well which will be replaced with a power mirror. Paint will be Purple.

purple.jpg Like this but a lil darker.

:lol: So you're buying a Challenger?

When you get close to the finishing touches, I put a "How To" on how to fabricate replacement preformed hoses for the firewall connections to the heater. I can also give you part numbers for readily available radiator hoses that can be cut to duplicate the routing and,in one case, the braided appearance of the original hoses. Ask when ready, I have the part numbers in the trunk of my RL411. I also have two solutions for the water pump to intake manifold preheat formed hose.

Gotta love 411s.

glad to hear you want to keep a stock engine in. I have a J15 I'm putting into mine. It had already had a swap from J13 to the J15 so I decided to keep it that way.

How is the interior? I'm going to be making my own interior panels to replace all the rotted ones so keep on eye on my rosie thread in the next few weeks.

The r16 is a cool little engine.

Inside is ok, hard to look inside in gregs garage, a lil packed :) Hes got a awsome project in there as well. I figure as long as some bit of door panel so i can trace new ones and cut them out if i have to. I love this lil car. I got to bring home the lights and grill today :). Heres that sexy grill.

IMAG1151.jpg

411 is now in my garage, gettin ready to pull everything out of her, and start workin on it. Wife was really excited, but the morning sickness is really bad right now. Yep thats right shes pregnant, that was the other bing thing but didnt want to say anything till i told my dad and mom since my dad is a member on here and i wanted to tell them first before posting on here. Were pregnant with number 2. All i can say is thanks Greg, your a awsome man, i will be bringing ur chain back at some point. I just really, REALLY hurt body wise right now, over did it with my limitations so now im on the couch trying to feel better. But now its time for oics.

On the dolley ready to leave gregs.

IMAG1179.jpg

IMAG1180.jpg

On the road.

IMAG1182.jpg

In the garage her new home.

IMAG1184.jpg

IMAG1185.jpg

Happy pregnant wife and her new car. Shes estatic that its in our garage now. Time to begin, first step, emptying everything out.

IMAG1186.jpg

Im going to try and make it so your not. Hopefully she will be painted and driving by next year, just wont have the interior done other than seats thrown in lol. But she should at least be that far along by canby next year so we can park next to eachother :)

Thanks again Greg, ill get that chain back to ya some time this week. But man i HURT lol. I cant beleive i used to be able to walk 8+ miles a day and drive a delivery truck in downtown portland delivering boxes of paper and stuff, it just shows how much having surgery sucks. At least when i work on her at home, i got my pain pills at home ;) lol.

Mike at gladstone may be finding me a entire lock set for the car since i dont have a key.

Found a good new alternator today, and a few other lil things.

Been trying to get out there and pull stuff out of her and start cleaning some of the electrical up, but lil dannys been sick and grumpy :(. Also trying to figure a good dual fan setup. Been debating with the extra r16 greg gave me about talking to dan heart and getting it rebuild and stroked to 2...depending on price that is :). Just been reading up, and finding as many complete engine bay pics as i can.

Now this is one thing i need help with, ive never put a auto back in, and never worked on a r16. I was wondering if anyone has any pics or tips for reinstalling the auto into the r16. Ive always just yanked out auto trannys and never paid attention, so confusing to put one back in.

Now this is one thing i need help with, ive never put a auto back in, and never worked on a r16. I was wondering if anyone has any pics or tips for reinstalling the auto into the r16. Ive always just yanked out auto trannys and never paid attention, so confusing to put one back in.

The really tricky part of reinstalling the British Borg Warner Automatic is not to screw up the adjustment on the mechanical downshift cable. Its jacket is attached to a plate that fits behind the SU carbs with an inner and outer [lock] nut arrangement and the inner cable has a clevis that pins to the cam on the SU horizontal shaft. NEVER adjust the length of the outer cable jacket attachment to the plate or lubricate it. If you disconnected it at the plate connection when you pulled the transmission you may be in trouble if the nut on the outside end of the plate has moved. If the mechanical downshift cable adjust length has been tinkered with, take the car to a transmission shop to reset the proper length. You have to tap into the transmission hydraulics and rev the engine to adjust properly and you can only do this for a very short time without destroying the transmission. Transmission shops have the pressure gauges and hydraulic taps, you don't. These transmissions are very reliable and as bullet proof as an automatic transmission can be, but that mechanical downshift cable length is the sore point. Mine has given superb service for 44 years!