HELP! not getting power what so ever

80datson

today i was wiring up and marking whats for what. i grounded all grounds. and had the coil wires hanging. anyways the dome light was working and the horn and i think the black/white wire mustive touched the side of the engine bay and now theres no power going through at all. none of the fuses are blown. what could be wrong??

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

today i was wiring up and marking whats for what. i grounded all grounds. and had the coil wires hanging. anyways the dome light was working and the horn and i think the black/white wire mustive touched the side of the engine bay and now theres no power going through at all. none of the fuses are blown. what could be wrong??

Unless the key was ON there would be no power to the coil wires. The only thing with power on it with the key in the OFF position would be the alternator wiring .... did you have it off and hanging???

Always, always have the positive battery cable off when messing with wires.

Unless the key was ON there would be no power to the coil wires. The only thing with power on it with the key in the OFF position would be the alternator wiring .... did you have it off and hanging???

Always, always have the positive battery cable off when messing with wires.

My dumass wasn't thinking right... they were just hanging

I wanted to are if my head light were still working..

Don't judge by looks. If you wanna fix it, get a diagram. In this case I would start at the battery, and test your way up the circuit. Once you lose 12vdc, you've found the problem, be it fuse, wire or whatever. If you don't have a meter, get a test light, they're cheap. Do you have 12v at the alt. wire?

Some fuses should have power all the time, like head and tail lights, brake lights, marker lights, interior light, horn, emergency 4 way flasher. (maybe the cigar lighter) Others are turned on by the ignition like wipers, heater, radio, rear defogger....

I have never owned your model of car ,,, so in general terms I speak :)

Connect your "excite" wire to the starter (male end on starter , female end from harness to starter) ,,, and also the positive battery cable bolted on to the solenoid (as you mentioned or indicated is already connected),,, BUT ,,, one more wire to the starter from the wiring harness to power your accessories/car should be connected to your starter "+" ,,, ( not the battery positive or excite wire !) at least it is on my Z-car ,,, get a flash light and tripple check that ! ,,, I onced missed this when I was a lot younger ,,, drove me nuts ,,, thought I too had blown a circuit or something ,,, until I realized I had just simply over-looked the one wire (which I had thought I had hooked up) :blink: