L16 or SSS Distributor needed

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the conversion kits are fine, Nissan did make their own version Electronic Ignition distributors for the mid 70s cars and trucks for California that were adopted for use on all '78 vehicles. In '79 they were all up-graded to the matchbox style. Either of the two types will fit the earlier L16/18 and eliminates the points forever. Because they can handle a higher current a special EI lower impedance coil without the ballast resister can be used to boost output voltage. Plugs remain the same but should be gaped 0.038-0.042" to take advantage of the higher voltage.

The earlier EI dizzys were caller the 'remote igniter' type and required an electronics box, usually located under the dash. Later 'matchbox' dizzys used a miniaturized electronic 'module' mounted on it's side and were just easier and more compact to work with. Both do the same job equally well.

From the outside the 'remote igniter' dizzy look like a regular L20B distributor. Under the cap it looks like this.

EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

The 'matchbox' dizzy gets it's name from the small module on the side. Under the cap is also different.

DatsunEI005Large.jpg

EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

• 1 year later...

While the conversion kits are fine, Nissan did make their own version Electronic Ignition distributors for the mid 70s cars and trucks for California that were adopted for use on all '78 vehicles. In '79 they were all up-graded to the matchbox style. Either of the two types will fit the earlier L16/18 and eliminates the points forever. Because they can handle a higher current a special EI lower impedance coil without the ballast resister can be used to boost output voltage. Plugs remain the same but should be gaped 0.038-0.042" to take advantage of the higher voltage.

The earlier EI dizzys were caller the 'remote igniter' type and required an electronics box, usually located under the dash. Later 'matchbox' dizzys used a miniaturized electronic 'module' mounted on it's side and were just easier and more compact to work with. Both do the same job equally well.

From the outside the 'remote igniter' dizzy look like a regular L20B distributor. Under the cap it looks like this.

EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

The 'matchbox' dizzy gets it's name from the small module on the side. Under the cap is also different.

DatsunEI005Large.jpg

EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but I have a question. I have been researching the EI distributor stuff forever and am just trying to get the right parts to convert my L16. I have a remote ignition box, and am ordering an MSD blaster 2 coil. All I have left is to find the right distributor. I was going to get this distributor from rockauto http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=31620&p=rock I just wanted to know if It will fit my L16 pedistal or if I need more than just the distributor to make it fit.

There are so many different posts and diagrams that I have read from all over. I am pretty sure it will work, but I just want to be sure before I spend the money on the distributor.

Points can be made to work, they just need attention every 3000 miles.

That will buy you some time.

Time to start to look in Pick-n-pull yards.

The most productive method I found is to just go to the import section part of the yard, and go up one aisle, and down the next, back and forth. Lift the hood on every Datsun that could have a 4 cylinder L engine. I found a matchbox with matching coil in a 521 at Sherwood last year.

Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but I have a question. I have been researching the EI distributor stuff forever and am just trying to get the right parts to convert my L16. I have a remote ignition box, and am ordering an MSD blaster 2 coil. All I have left is to find the right distributor. I was going to get this distributor from rockauto http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=31620&p=rock I just wanted to know if It will fit my L16 pedistal or if I need more than just the distributor to make it fit.

There are so many different posts and diagrams that I have read from all over. I am pretty sure it will work, but I just want to be sure before I spend the money on the distributor.

Toss the remote ignitor. Either run the 78 dizzy w/ a gm hei module, or run a matchbox.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.