Emissions crap

620fever

Hey guys so I've been reading a little about the emissions junk sprawled out on my L20b, is there any reason for not removing the air pump. If I were to remove it, theoretically wouldn't a few extra hp get freed up. What is involved in removing the unnecessary emissions junk, so far it's only been a pain in the ass getting around it all so I'd like to simplify my motor as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes you'll free up some power but makes ure your state/county does not require smog for that year and if you do take them off, don't trash them...who knows they may go back and cars that year may need to be smog.

i agree with this guy. Pick up an assorted pack of vacuum plugs, while you are at it. I got one at Advance Auto for about $7 and it still have over half of them. It looks much better than putting a screw in a hose. And its intended for that purpose.

The effort isn't worth it. You will only see a difference if the the emission system hasn't been maintained and you remove a problem. A properly running smog system runs as well as one without. You won't notice 1/2 a hp when driving around town. Quickest way to disable the pump is to cut the drive belt to the pump. Done. Quickest way to disable the EGR is to pull the vacuum hose off the carb and plug the carb end. Done. Takes 30 sec for both.... let me know if this gives you rubber into 2nd gear.....

The effort isn't worth it. You will only see a difference if the the emission system hasn't been maintained and you remove a problem. A properly running smog system runs as well as one without. You won't notice 1/2 a hp when driving around town. Quickest way to disable the pump is to cut the drive belt to the pump. Done. Quickest way to disable the EGR is to pull the vacuum hose off the carb and plug the carb end. Done. Takes 30 sec for both.... let me know if this gives you rubber into 2nd gear.....

well that 1/2hp adds up if you do it a few times. and it looks prettier and weighs less.

Doing things like that make the tree huggers want to continue SMOG inspections on old cars, they really would like to eliminate them, cars that is, especially old ones. Hell in California and coming soon to your state if it hasn't already even lawn mowers must pass emissions standards when sold new.

Like Datzenmike says you won't see any real increase in horsepower by removing it.

Doing things like that make the tree huggers want to continue SMOG inspections on old cars, they really would like to eliminate them, cars that is, especially old ones. Hell in California and coming soon to your state if it hasn't already even lawn mowers must pass emissions standards when sold new.

Like Datzenmike says you won't see any real increase in horsepower by removing it.

to hell with tree huggers. i'll pull up in al gores front yard in something less worthy like a honduh and get it to burn some tranny fluid and then burnout in his grass. then we can have a tire bonfire.

do these tree huggers realise what we Ratsun-ers have saved the environment in thermo-dynamic terms by not buying a new hi-tec Daewoo/Honduh/Hyundai etc etc? How much carbon is generated in producing these new cars? We shouldd get a tax rebate just for keeping our old Datsuns/Nissans

cows, chickens, pigs should also be smogged since they emit methane...on a serious note..., if they are serious, they need to smog motorcyles, like Harleys, Buses, big trucks, lawn mowers and to top it off how many 70's or 60's cars are out there as compared to newer cars, maybe 1%..

lawn mowers are tested at the factory. thats why they have the air index on the side and its also why they dont run as good. the 31cc weed whackers you get at wal mart were actually good weed whackers until they started putting non adjustable carbs on them and leaning them out way too far. you cant run them without choke. they have to be in half choke, at least on the east coast. i loved the older ones. they had good power. some of them had attachments for cutting down small trees. but now you are lucky if those even start.

• 1 month later...

Isn't worth the trouble for looks either. Most people don't know what they are doing and end up with it running worse. Trust me "You always fear the things you don't understand" It's so true. I don't understand how air injection, PCV and ERG work, so those hoses have to go and I'll feel better. :)

Isn't worth the trouble for looks either. Most people don't know what they are doing and end up with it running worse. Trust me "You always fear the things you don't understand" It's so true. I don't understand how air injection, PCV and ERG work, so those hoses have to go and I'll feel better. :)

mine came with half the emissions parts gone so it was mandatory for me to finish a leaking half job.

any pics of your set up josh_t? did you 86 the PCV and plug where it goes into the block?

i'll get you some pics tomorrow morning. no it didnt remove the pcv system. thats the only emissions system that actually does help. it can help you not burn oil as much and it helps keep the oil in the motor at high rpms. it also can make your oil last longer by not allowing blow by to stay in the crank case. the rest of them i dont have. i removed all the vacuum related stuff other than my modulator valve cuz i have an auto. and i bought a pack of vacuum caps at the parts store. it looks better and helps with troubleshooting carb and vacuum related problems. and its kinda ghetto but i pulled the egr manifold off and found vacuum caps that had a tight fit in the egr ports and i pushed them in there closed end first. i didnt get a good attempt at covering up the egr tube at the exhaust manifold since the head of the nut holding it in sheared completely off so i just took an old easy out that the tip broke off of and wrenched it up in there until i can weld over the hole. you probably have to cap off the valve for the smog system that goes into the head. mine was capped with a square head bolt and jb weld. not my work but it is flush with the thermostat housing and it doesnt leak so i'm not complaining.

Emissions removal is best done for looks than for any performance gain expected.

he is right. but i couldnt stand the spaghetti engine compartment that comes factory. so i finished up what was still there. i'm sure most of it didnt work or needed other parts to work properly. i dont regret it. as far as performance i would say that you might get maybe 3-4 hp. maybe. thats taking the drag of the smog pump, the restriction of the cat (which is likely to be a decent amount if its original), and what ever is lost from the egr system into account. the evap system doesnt hurt performance until it starts leaking. it just makes the 2nd worst looking mess of hoses, 1st is A.I.R. system. i know it makes it MUCH easier to work on now.

Oh I totally agree with you and mike... I'm not trying to get any performance gains by doing this. I mean it's just my fun truck I don't have to smog it here in California due to the age and I'm basically just trying to clean the bay and get rid of anything I don't "need". I do care about performance but I care more about looks if I can help it.

Thanks again dude for all the help.

Oh I totally agree with you and mike... I'm not trying to get any performance gains by doing this. I mean it's just my fun truck I don't have to smog it here in California due to the age and I'm basically just trying to clean the bay and get rid of anything I don't "need". I do care about performance but I care more about looks if I can help it.

Thanks again dude for all the help.

no problem. thats what we are all here for.

BTW... EGR (if the system is in good repair) is not 'on' when idling and at wide open throttle. So there is no loss due to EGR when accelerating/racing/performance driving or what ever you want to call it. At all other times there is a small amount of inert exhaust introduced to lower peak combustion temperatures to reduce oxides of nitrogen. You won't feel a thing driving around. Full throttle is still full throttle.

This is the thing with most smog systems, they are not maintained. The ERG often has a timer and a dash light to remind owners to clean the valve. Yes they get carbon-ed up or collect exhaust deposits that can prevent the valve closing at idle. A small leak will destroy the idle. Wire brush them and good to go.