New clutch kit, no reverse now

aatrain

82 Maxima again. Put a new clutch kit, master and slave in; now I have no reverse. Can't even put it in reverse with the engine off. Other than that, everything works/shifts fine. What did I knock out of whack? That little doodad on the side of the tranny when I lowered it out?

(And Mike- I put the maxima kit in rather than the other, and it looked a little puny compared to the springs of even the old plate that came out of it. Probably end up putting a new one in in a year.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing on the outside that might cack it up is the reverse check sleeve. It's on the driver's side just forward and above the mount. (at least it's easy to get at and replace) It's a neat little piece of equipment and allows you to select reverse from any other gear than 5th. I guess people forget they are in 5th and may shift straight down into reverse?

goon5speedswap019Large-1.jpg

Internally it fits the bright area on the right. That's the hole it fits into. The reverse check sleeve interferes with the striker rod linkage. (the part just below the loosened nut in the picture below) As long as the shifter moves through the neutral gate into the 5th/reverse gate you can go directly into reverse. But if you are in 5th you cannot go straight back into reverse.

5speedfor710goon006Large-1.jpg

Do you think you damaged it???.

Even after going into first- it still won't budge into reverse. And I've learned that the "dont force it, get a bigger hammer " rule can cause some problems here.

I'm going to check that sleeve, although I can't see how I could have bunged it up on this installation. I didn't mess with it, and don't remember hitting it when I brought it out or put it back. But I do remember it binding on the drivers side against the exhaust when I was raising it with the jack... Didn't really think anything of it at the time.

I took a look from beneath this morning. Wasn't able to see or feel the reverse check, I just couldn't find it. But that has to be it- it feels like there is something in there blocking me from shifting into reverse. But I don't know how I could have damaged it.

One more piece to the puzzle- this transmission is from a 78 z car. Don't know if that's worth a mention or not as far as this problem is concerned.

A '78 won't have a check sleeve. I assumed this was the stock tranny out for clutch change.

Ok- test drive- it all works properly, except reverse. AND it is kicking it it out of fifth gear at speed when I apply clutch. Is that too indicative of the check sleeve?

That's not good. probably a bad bearing in the adapter plate letting the shafts wobble.

Yeah- forgot to mention the tranny wasn't stock.

That's wierd. Reverse was working fine before. Super frustrating. I really don't want to have to find, retrieve, and install another one. I really like this car deep down- despite the trouble it gives me.

My iginal 5 speed in my 620 was working fine and for no reason jumped out of 5th gear one day. I thought I just missed shifting it properly, so I shoved it in and let out the clutch. When I stepped on the gas it jumped out again. I held it in gear but you could feel it trying to pull out. I didn't use fifth for the next two weeks, no biggie, and then it started jumping out of second and I had to pull it. Wasn't making any noise and ran fine. I had a zx waiting so I didn't care much. Unfortunately I chucked it before I became more inteested in them and never figured out what the cause might have been.

Hey OP ,

280z 5-speeds seems to have a very large nut on the Main/Out-put shaft that backs off or comes loose after a bit ,,, sounds similiar to your condition ,,,, on the rear of the tranny ,,, tail-shaft housing will have to come off to see ,,, for more info Defintely Check ,,, Zdriver ,,, and ,,, Hybridz forums ,,,

This could be a likely possibility as well

:)

280z 5-speeds seems to have a very large nut on the Main/Out-put shaft that backs off or comes loose after a bit ,,,on the rear of the tranny ,,,

:)

Like this:

DSCN0095.jpg

Picture076-1.jpg

Mine was like a 38mm. So I just got a big ass crescent wrench. Once the tail is off, I think you engage reverse (if you can get it) and 2nd gear so the shaft doesn't spin. Just be sure to disengage them when you're done. Also check the other nut. (27mm IIRC)

DSCN0097.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ended up being the output shaft seal.

Huh?

Yeah, the output shaft seal.

It had failed and leaked enough oil to let it get hot enough to shellac the 5th/reverse gears enough to keep it from going into reverse. I fought with it for 4 or 5 hours before soaking it in wd40 and desiel out of desperation. I just couldn't see anything wrong and didn't want to break the shafts down. But it finally loosened up after a good cleaning and some ball peen persuasion.

I was just about to say to hell with it.