Unusually Fast TO & Clutch Finger Wear

atkinson40

Something ain't right? Pulled the tranny to have it rebuilt and noticed this wear on clutch release fingers and corresponding wear on TO bearing. Haven't even put 500 miles on the clutch yet. Those are little grooves cut into the fingers. What could cause this? Is it not releasing? Incorrectly installed? -K

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems ok to me. Was the TO bearing hand packed with grease? I think they are sold dry so you can use the grease of your choice.

That's not backwards ...is it Mike?

Was the bearing pressed all the way in?

Pull it out (with fork) and snap a few more pics

Seems ok to me. Was the TO bearing hand packed with grease? I think they are sold dry so you can use the grease of your choice.

Don't know about the grease, will check. Just seemed abnormal to have that much wear on the fingers so quickly. At this rate I could imagine it wearing completely through the fingers in no time. -K

Any time the clutch peddle is down it it rubbing the diaphragm fingers, actually any time your foot is on the peddle. When I come to a stop I like to slip into neutral and release the clutch so it's not being used just sitting there.

Find out if you packed the bearing with grease. If it's dry it won't last and will start making noise.