L20B with 5 speed trans

brianof253

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and just bought me a 1975 Datsun 620. It's got a L20B with a 4 speed. I want to know what other transmission I could get to just bolt it in to convert it to a 5 speed. Anything info will help and will be greatly appreciated.

i have a 5 speed dog leg for sale.. 250

Give me a break guys lol this is also the first forum I've ever join so I'm just learning how to use this site. Anyways, will a 5 speed from a 1982 280zx bolt on to the L20B? I've read different forums but keep getting confused by everyones own opinion. I just want to know because I can get a 5 speed trans from 280zx for cheap.

Give me a break guys lol this is also the first forum I've ever join so I'm just learning how to use this site. Anyways, will a 5 speed from a 1982 280zx bolt on to the L20B? I've read different forums but keep getting confused by everyones own opinion. I just want to know because I can get a 5 speed trans from 280zx for cheap.

I said I have a 5 speed dog leg for yr l20

Hi Brian. A dogleg will require you to lengthen your driveshaft and modify the transmission mount.

Yes an '82 NON turbo 280zx 5 speed will work without any changes... well maybe a different speedo pinion to keep your gauge accurate.

Other possibilities for a drop in tranny like above are:

'77-'79 620

'77-'83 280z and zx (non turbo)

'79-'84 Maxima

There are a few options, the question you should first ask is what do you want to accomplish? Do you just want better mileage on the highway, will you be using it as a truck (heavy hauling) your answer will change which trans you should get.

And to be honest these guys, although sarcastic, are a lot nicer than some of the forums that i have seen. Part of it is these answers have been answered MANY times over and over again, so they get tired of filling the boards with the same thing over and over again.... if you have a specific question about it then they are much more willing to help (and can be down right nice!)

Anyway WELCOME TO RATSUN

Hi Brian. A dogleg will require you to lengthen your driveshaft and modify the transmission mount.

Yes an '82 NON turbo 280zx 5 speed will work without any changes... well maybe a different speedo pinion to keep your gauge accurate.

Other possibilities for a drop in tranny like above are:

'77-'79 620

'77-'83 280z and zx (non turbo)

'79-'84 Maxima

THANK YOU! This is exactly the answer I needed!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

80datson Im sure hes NOT going to calif to pick it up. Or you going to pakage it up when he can get one cheap here in the washington area.

its more or less a yes/ no question.

brianof253 make sure you can handle this job. If anything drive it till the trans breaks and then put the 5 speed youll get in.

You're right. I don't want to go to cali or have a trans shipped to me. And yes, I can handle the job with help from my dad who is a mechanic.

There are a few options, the question you should first ask is what do you want to accomplish? Do you just want better mileage on the highway, will you be using it as a truck (heavy hauling) your answer will change which trans you should get.

And to be honest these guys, although sarcastic, are a lot nicer than some of the forums that i have seen. Part of it is these answers have been answered MANY times over and over again, so they get tired of filling the boards with the same thing over and over again.... if you have a specific question about it then they are much more willing to help (and can be down right nice!)

Anyway WELCOME TO RATSUN

My plans are for better gas mileage on the highway. Won't be doing much hauling. And yea, that's understandable that people would get tired of ansewering the same questions. But yea, thanks for all the welcomes all the help guys!

I have never done a trans swap in a truck.

I always pulled the whole assembly.

510s are EZer lots of room. I just dont know about the trucks. Datzenmike is a truck guy.

Im just saying if your new to Datsuns its a bell kurve when come to learning. If your truck works then I say leave it it alone.

I know Z cars use differnt TO Bearing collars so keep Datzenmike informd on what your doing

My plans are for better gas mileage on the highway. Won't be doing much hauling. And yea, that's understandable that people would get tired of ansewering the same questions. But yea, thanks for all the welcomes all the help guys!

Well the '82 zx tranny has a 26% overdrive fifth gear so this will really drop the highway RPMs.

Before installing it be sure to put a new rear driveshaft seal in the tailstock. Your dad will know, it's easy and only $6 or so. This will save you climbing under to do in a month's time. Also keep the housing or collar that holds your release bearing as it is matched to your clutch that you have in there now. By all means replace the release bearing on it. The 280zx may have a different one so don't use it.

When you remove the 280zx 5 speed drain the tranny and inspect the drain plug for metal chips and parts, it's magnetic. black paste is normal. Clean it (so you can assess any wear the next oil change) and refill with GL-4 80w90 gear oil if you can find it. Whichever oil you do find make sure it is labeled 'GL-4 compatible' or 'yellow metal safe' to protect your synchros. Synthetic is fine too.

To prolong the life of your five speed never pass or climb hills in 5th. Never drive a loaded truck in 5th. Fifth gear is for medium/light throttle cruising at hiway speeds to reduce RPMs. Always downshift into 4th.

Well the '82 zx tranny has a 26% overdrive fifth gear so this will really drop the highway RPMs.

Before installing it be sure to put a new rear driveshaft seal in the tailstock. Your dad will know, it's easy and only $6 or so. This will save you climbing under to do in a month's time. Also keep the housing or collar that holds your release bearing as it is matched to your clutch that you have in there now. By all means replace the release bearing on it. The 280zx may have a different one so don't use it.

When you remove the 280zx 5 speed drain the tranny and inspect the drain plug for metal chips and parts, it's magnetic. black paste is normal. Clean it (so you can assess any wear the next oil change) and refill with GL-4 80w90 gear oil if you can find it. Whichever oil you do find make sure it is labeled 'GL-4 compatible' or 'yellow metal safe' to protect your synchros. Synthetic is fine too.

To prolong the life of your five speed never pass or climb hills in 5th. Never drive a loaded truck in 5th. Fifth gear is for medium/light throttle cruising at hiway speeds to reduce RPMs. Always downshift into 4th.

wow! thanks for all the info! this will really help.