tranny hunting we go

bonvo

ok i have a datsun 610 im looking for a 5 speed for it came stock with a long tail 4 speed what vehicles can i find a direct (or close to) blot in 5 speed i know later z cars but any others? this is what i have now a dogleg 5 that i can put in next to the stock 4 speed any info on what cars came with a long tail 5 speed for an l seires would be great thanks guys

IMAG0006.jpg

the stock 4 speed is in the forground

IMAG0007.jpg

again the stock 4 speed is to the right

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Measure the 4 spd. If it's about 31./2" long then a 5 spd should fit with no drive shaft changes.

Yes the NAPS trans will bolt up BUT... keep in mind that the L and the Z series motors sat at different angles in the engine compartment. In order to use the same transmission with a Z engine, and keep it upright, Nissan rotated the front bolt pattern counter-clockwise. (as viewed from the inside the car) If you put a Z series 5 spd onto an L series engine the trans will lean to the right, and the shifter will be against the passenger's seat. I guess you could bend the shifter up straight and modify the trans mount to allow for the right tilt.

Below left is the 280 z 5spd from my truck, to the right is an '81 200sx Z20E trans. Other than the bolt pattern and a very slight difference in 5th gear ratios, they are basically identical.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0312.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0312.jpg

so i go out there and ther is nothing i mean nothing alot of napz moters but they were all auto and all the z cars i found had no trannys then as i was getting ready to leave they brought in a new z car but it was a turbo with the funky 5 that came in the tubo ones the day wasent a total loss though i found a 610 wagon :D will continue to rape it for parts :P

If you can find a 'non working' L 5spd, you can split the case apart and remove the front half that includes the 'bell' with the bolt pattern, and swap onto a NAPS 5 spd. Broken L 5spds should be cheap if you know what I mean. You will need a pair of snap ring pliers to get the input shaft front cover off (and some sockets). Don't loose the shims.

Only 2wd NAPS trans are usable for you.

Turbo funky 5 speed??? If it is pre 83 280zx there's nothing funky about it, it will bolt up to an L motor... Now, since you say "funky" I'm going to assume it's an 83... 83 280zx turbo cars came with a Borg-warner T5 5 speed, which is supposedly one of the strongest "datsun" 5 transmissions you can get! If that's what is it, I suggest you go pick it up even if you don't plan on using it because Z car guys will pay a pretty penny for one!

They are much 'fatter' around the bell and body as well as just slightly longer. Looks like the shifter would be in same position. The output spline is unique and doesn't match any Datto drive shaft.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/BorgWarner4-1.jpg[/img]"]BorgWarner4-1.jpg

Might fit a truck with more room but not a car. At least not without massaging the metal with a sledge.

1st..2nd...3rd...4th..5th

3.5 2.144 1.375 1 0.78

Nice take off gear (3.5) but big spread across the rest plus a monster overdrive, but not such a problem with a small car weight. Fun to think about, but too much modification when an FS5W71B should 'drop in'.