Certain carb adapter? Which one?

Mulisha620

Hey guys I am wondering if there is a certain carb adapter i should be looking for to mount this Weber 32/36 I have to the L18 on my 74 620? I have searched for hours and looked at a few different ones but am not sure which one to order....

I had seen someone on this forum say to look for the high-rise style?

Is there a certain brand I should be looking for?

I found this one... Is this the high-rise style I heard about?

Tansdapt no. 2107

I would appreciate the info... Whatever style or particular one is best is what I wanna go with.. regardless of price.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't really worried about clearance issues, I just want what works better.

I though it would be sick to have a billet K&N air filter poppin out of a really clean hole in my hood anyway.. (Would suck in the winter time however..)

Anyone have any experience at all with these Tansdapt Adapters?? they look nice and clean... seems like they would be the better way to go as the adapter itself acts like a spacer?

I ran the tall adapter on my L20b in my 76 620 for several years. Works great, no hood clearance problems at all as long as you run the shorter filter. I think the filter is 1.75" tall vs. the tall ones that are 2.5" i think.

I prefer the tall cast adapters, I think they seal better because of more surface area to the gaskets, and they are solid, not going to be a warping problem. I think the 3/8" thin ones tend to warp or crack. and they have very little surface contact to seal. The two piece adapters have surface contact for the gaskets, but requires three gaskets instead of two.

I ran the tall adapter on my L20b in my 76 620 for several years. Works great, no hood clearance problems at all as long as you run the shorter filter. I think the filter is 1.75" tall vs. the tall ones that are 2.5" i think.

I prefer the tall cast adapters, I think they seal better because of more surface area to the gaskets, and they are solid, not going to be a warping problem. I think the 3/8" thin ones tend to warp or crack. and they have very little surface contact to seal. The two piece adapters have surface contact for the gaskets, but requires three gaskets instead of two.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I had assumed about the taller cast adapters... The larger amount of surface area, and the piece being stronger in general..

I'll be buying that one I threw a link up for.. Thanks guys for the input- I'll put a thread up when I put it all on-

An air filter taller than 2" has more performance.

So it's better to get the

* short adapter for performance

* tall adapter for reliability

Even if the filter is say, the larger K&N assembly that is 1.75 inches tall, but 5.5 inches wide and 9 inches long? SEEN HERE

I wouldn't think that filter would have breathing issues, would it? And it should clear the hood....

The dimensions of the standard weber filter are plenty big to not create a restriction at the filter.

The breathing arguement is based on the top cover of the air cleaner being closer to the inlet of the carb, thus creating a restriction. The taller filter creates more space between the carb air inlet and the top cover of the filter.

You should be able to run a tall adapter and a tall filter on a L16/L18 in a 620. The L16/L18 block is 19mm(3/4") shorter than that of the L20b.

And as mentioned, I ran the tall adapter and short filter on a L20b. So given the shorter block, a tall adapter and tall filter should fit. This combo will not work in a 510 though(too tall).

I run the tall adapter with the tall air cleaner with L16/18s no proplem.

PS the idea of the aircleaner sticking out the hood is LAME.

Nice.. I was waiting to hear someone say they had run that setup before.. I'll order the taller filter..

And the idea of the filter coming through the hood is totally not lame.. Imagine how much more air flow you would get.. It would make your truck like 10 miles an hour faster..:lol:

The idea about the filter coming through the hood will depend on how clean it looks. I've seen some, though functional, looks all cut up..it's all about the presentation. Some Ole skool muscle cars look dam good with shaker hoods...but it's presented well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I wasn't really worried about clearance issues, I just want what works better.

I though it would be sick to have a billet K&N air filter poppin out of a really clean hole in my hood anyway.. (Would suck in the winter time however..)

PS the idea of the aircleaner sticking out the hood is LAME.

I'm with Hainz on this. Besides destroying the hood it will look like you couldn't do it right and gave up and cut a perfectly good hood. It can be done correctly so spend the time and save the hood. No one needs to see a blingy K&fuckin'N air filter. You want to impress? Take the stock air filter and adapt it to fit the Weber carb.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Heyyy. it's been a minute since I've been on Ratsun....

For my own sake I can tell you that I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I considered the shaker hood. I had a temporary lapse in judgement.... I apologize....

(it's been over a year, I think I've come a long way as far as how I see my truck....)

You guys would REALLY laugh if you knew how hard it would be for me to replace a hood anyway.... I'm in a terrible area for junkyards let alone to find any 620 parts around here.

I've made quite a bit pf progress on my truck though, I think you guys would be stoked. I'm getting ready to get the build thread updated, but for now you guys can rest assured that my hood isnt going to end up looking like a high schooler's shop class fuckup.