521 glove box

I figured I'd throw this up here and see how many people are interested. I work next door to a place that makes vacuum molded parts all day long. The owner came over and talked to me about my 521 and told me about Datsun trucks he used to have. I eventually asked about having some parts made and he said we can talk about it. I'm not looking to make a side business out of this, I mainly just want parts that just aren't available. I'd like to do the tail light housing but I figured the glovebox would probably be easier to make.

Any interest? If so, at what cost?

Obviously the reproduction ones would be plastic (I think, maybe fiberglass?) but this is my original...

glovebox.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see there's some interest! I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner today but will try tomorrow. Pretty sure he said that I need to talk to his son and I know he's out of town so it may be next week before I have some answers.

Once I find out what kind of setup costs are involved and what kind of per unit cost we're looking at I'll be sure to share. I'd be happy to do parcel trays and anything else as long as they can be made for a reasonable price. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow response! Basically the glove boxes would end up costing around $75 each. This is with me making the mold myself. :blink:

I don't think this is a price most 521 owners would be willing to pay so I think I'm scratching the idea. The parts shop does mostly large sized pieces and serious quantities (1000+ units) so they aren't setup for doing small runs like this.

If there are at least 10 guys that are willing to spend that much on a glove box I will probably move forward but for now I'm planning on putting my cardboard original back in! Parcel trays may be cheaper but I would need to get one to take over and show him to get an idea of cost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.