NL 320 tail lights

ArkDat

I've recently been in contact with Ken B.(odpl originator), who is the guy that originally commissioned Greg to make the rear lenses. He said that Greg will not do any more lenses....he's not into making rubber parts for vintage motorcycles. The tail lenses for sale on ebay are most likely a set from the original batch that Ken had made.

maybe someone should contact Greg about buying the molds and supplies. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope I didn't bum any of You out. I had the winning bid. With that being said, some of You know that I have an NL that I would REALLY like to build one day so they went to a good home. Some of You also know that I work with a place that does quality fiberglass accessories. One of You graciously loaned Me an NL rear bumper that a mold was made of. With this in mind, I will take what I have to My manifacturer and see if it is possible to make either fiberglass "lenses" or complete rear housing/lenses sets. The idea I am toying around is to somehow lay in a LED somewhere in the lens area and paint around it in matching red, then have a place use spray on chrome for the "metal" housing area. This would be a full fiberglass piece with these LED lenses glued in somehow, such as street rods and Harley owners are doing to "hide" taillights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-48-Ford-Sportsman-LED-Tail-Light-Lens-w-Flasher-/130513352628?pt=Vintage_Car_Tr

If I can pull it off where they look from a distance like stock housings/lenses but having much safer LED technology, that is the idea in mind. I will NOT let them damage these lenses in any way an if they can not make a mold without destroying or sanding on them, then the idea will be scratched for now. Also, possibly the blade wire attachment might simply insert into the stock bulb location without any modification!!!

Congrats on winning the lenses Mike, I was informed that I had lost the high bid, but I only bid the $200.00, but you had someone bidding against you as there were 3 bidders, you, someone else, and me with the one bid only.

You putting together a bucket/lense/bezel all in one would help a lot of NL320 owners that have none, and don't see any in there future.

There is a guy in N cal. that is selling the 3 pieces going around the top of the bed, he has also thrown in the cab corner pieces that I want, but he won't sell just them to me, so what he's selling is the top trim(3 pcs; no tailgate trim) and the corner pieces just behind the doors.

If your interested, PM me and I will send you his email.

I asked about a lot of parts, but most of what I wanted was sold to a guy north of me that I have met.

im doing the same thing. i am trying to graft a pair of oval led trailer lights into the housing of the nl tailight. there is a guy in pomona ca. that i talked to during an auto swapmeet that deals only in led lighting. there is one oval light out there that you can cut the red and use the led to graft onto the NL tail light housing. i am also sure that there is a vendor out there that has just a 3 wire stop/turn/tail board that you can mount to the housing of the tail light. trial and error but i cant spent too much on this idea however, i have done some research that allows this to be accomplished.

i hope that there will be more vendors or a vendor willing to make the nl tailights. i would like one more set to have.

steroid, lets see the rear bumper! :hyper:

I contacted the seller on the previous set before these and tried buying the bezels and the lenses. I ended up getting only the lenses. They said they were using the bezels in the picture to use in making a mold to make copies of it. They also stated it would more than likely be some sort of plastic that could be chromed. I do believe they have more lenses that will be listed later.

I had just made my own 2-piece mold to make my own lenses when these came up on ebay. I originally was going to just make a one-sided mold and make a carbon fiber lens. I was then going to cut out areas and place LEDs in. After making one side it I felt confident in making a 2 piece mold. My mold making kit is from Smooth-on.

Bob

dont know if i posted this but did anyone see these?

http://sfbay.craigsl...2962701533.html

i have a bad feeling the mods deleted, if so let me know so i dont keep posting. sorry in advanced.

*edit: holy crap: double post fail. sorry. page didnt update completely on refresh. mods can u delete one?...or if iz okai, sorry for the double post.

I had a feeling that it would be this high a price if the second set on ebay got up there, if that second set had got near $300.00, then this craigslist ad would likely be $300.00, to bad.

I asked ebay seller if there were going to be more available, and received a cryptic responce about some might exist, and he would let me know, I also asked about clear lenses also.

I see there not on ebay anymore, maybe the fees were unexceptable.

Whoever made these lenses also put them in my local craigslist also.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2962731805.html

now they are a "buy it now" option on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-NL320-Tail-Light-Lens-320-63-64-65-/330719910422?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d00715a16

wayno, you were completely right. the seller/vendor based all purchases on a scale and set the bar at $250 because thats how it ended on the last purchase. im sure the vendor/seller may have watched this thread or knows more information than we think we know about them.

i emailed the craigslist add the other day to inquire about the clear lenses and they said that they sold the only clear set but plan to make more.

i think $250 is a bit steep but supply an demand i guess.

if it means anything, greg clauss' last email to me about the tailights and said $65 each taillight.... just fyi.

I received the pair of lenses and I am satisfied. I see the bubbles that You mentioned, but to have anything correct on My NL is a comforting feeling, even though they may be reproductions. The seller was a person by the last name of Cuevas who lives in Reedley, CA. Do any of You guys recognize that name?

• 3 months later...

has anyone bought the clear lenses that were on cl.list or ebay some time ago?.... is that person still making them?.... i tried to email the last contact i had but no response

I told him i wanted a clear set also, but I never heard from him again after the red lenses arrived.

I told him i wanted a clear set also, but I never heard from him again after the red lenses arrived.

Wayno, so I emailed one more time and she/or the person said that they will come back to the clear nl320 tail lights soon. I guess/think they are making clear sets for the 510's and some other datsuns/nissans.... I have to read the email again but it was a work email I used. However, they are still making them.

I wil post the email when I get back to work on Monday. Hopefully it is legit. I would really hate to run out on an opportunity because of my lack of finances. Lol

I got this email today.

Hello Mr. Wayne

We should have some more made up within the next 10-14 days. Sorry for not getting back to you. Now that I remember ,you did ask for a clear set. We jumped right into the molds for the 521,620,and 510 and somewhere along the line we forgot about your request. I'll contact you as soon as we have some available. Thanks for your interest.

- l8dbiggs

• 10 months later...

Hello All,

I just Spoke today to Greg at Clauss studios and he said he will drag the Molds out and build some if i can get a good response as far as guys that want to purchase.. Please e mail me at Mooshagian_8@msn.com to let me know if you are intrested. Not sure on a cost today but he said he will be e mailing me to let me know. Thanks Cory

Hello All,

I just Spoke today to Greg at Clauss studios and he said he will drag the Molds out and build some if i can get a good response as far as guys that want to purchase.. Please e mail me at Mooshagian_8@msn.com to let me know if you are intrested. Not sure on a cost today but he said he will be e mailing me to let me know. Thanks Cory

The last time I talked to Greg, on 4/12/2012 he said he was out of the lense making business, we were waiting for him to make a run for a couple years, then he just bailed, since then someone in the bay area made a run of them(dot red & clear), at first the product was fair quality, not good, just fair, then it went to poor un-usable crap.

They might have put enough out to quench the thirst though, I only know a couple folks that are currently looking for a set.

I would be interested in a decent clear set, it all depends on the quality.