NL 320 tail lights

ArkDat

Trying to make the molds is more like it. I found TAP plastics that sells stuff to make molds and been playing with it. It all started out as just wanting to make some carbon fiber copies, but now has turned into trying to duplicate the originals. TAP sells a clear acrylic and I made one lens with it. Not sure how it will hold up in the sunlight as it is used for arts/crafts.

If Greg doesn't get some out in the next few months, I may go ahead and get the lenses from this other guy. I didn't ask him for clear, but will do so.

I have been so busy with work that I haven't had the time to mess with any Datsun stuff. My work has be traveling all over the country, so time home is limited right now.

Bob

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone want to agree to a timeline?... i figure by spring we should have someone willing to make these for us. i really would like a set by april but thats just me.

clauss knows we want these tailights but honestly i think we have waited for over a year i think/assume and now i am convinced something is up... and when someone else is willing to make them i just dont know what to say/think

sorry for being impatient. i guess i am just ranting now.

does anyone want to agree to a timeline?... i figure by spring we should have someone willing to make these for us. i really would like a set by april but thats just me.

clauss knows we want these tailights but honestly i think we have waited for over a year i think/assume and now i am convinced something is up... and when someone else is willing to make them i just dont know what to say/think

sorry for being impatient. i guess i am just ranting now.

It's been over a year guy, I actually talked to him about this in sep. of 2010 I beleave, and I beleave you talked with him before jan. of 2011, and he said he was going to make the run then as I recall, but I think unless clauss comes through, it's going to be after april now if we have to basicly start over, although Bob has done the finding another company part, heres the thing, someone has to basicly agree to purchase the whole run, which can get very expensive, not sure Bob wants to sit on it that long, and he is really busy right now too. I have not called the clauss recently, it's probably been a year since I talked to him on the phone, just sent emails which were ignored, I'm not sure I should be the one to call him, as I would just ask for an answer, probably not the additude needed here.

• 4 weeks later...

I was contacted by Zeke, he is the one with a few U320s that lives in Austrailia, he has found someone that will make the NL320 rear lenses, he says the guy made, or is going to make the front lenses for $25.00, and he says the quality is there, he says it's not shitty aftermarket stuff, so it would seem like this would be a good route to go.

I have asked Zeke how much they want for each set, I asked if they would be just red, or if they will make dual color(red/amber), he has asked for a price per set/pair, the guy company has not quoted a price yet.

I asked how many could be made before the mold goes bad.

I also asked where these were going to be made, as he is in the UK right now.

So how many are interested in a set of lenses? More than one set?

I would like to get an idea how many to ask for.

I am not sure how this is going to turn out, but it is better to follow this to the end, than to do nothing, and wait for Clauss Studios, if that ever happens.

I got this from him 9-29-11,

im working on the mold still these things are time consuming ! thx

I personally think he isn't doing anything, and i wish he would just say up front to me that he isn't going to make them, instead he just leads me on, or just chooses to ignore my emails, and I have not been harassing him either, I have sent about 4 emails since june 2011.

I think if Zeke can do this, we should focus are efforts with him if the prices are reasonable.

I'm in for a set of red taillights and clear front signals if it can be done

The only guy I know that had the front clear pie shaped lense sets was run off ratsun, you might check on ebay, maybe he will sell there someday, he was selling very rare parts that no one else has had for a long time, there is also another guy on ratsun that has been coming up with a few rare parts, but nothing on the scale of what dett was coming up with.

There are sets of amber lenses on ebay, just search "datsun 320", there is one clear left turn lense on ebay, but no right one.

We are waiting to hear from Zeke about the rear NL lenses, he said that the company that might make the rear NL320 lense run is also making front lenses, maybe he will see this and post something about it here, not sure what color front lenses he was getting.

What color front lenses did you get, or are going to get Zeke? Are they the pie shaped ones?

Hey guys, I think Clauss is out of business. The last email I got from them, on 5/1/2011, says "sorry we are no longer making lenses".

i wouldnt quite say he is out of business. though, i havent called his business, i have ran into him or his comany on ebay. i emailed a seller of the pie shaped lenses for the 320 and it turned out to be him or his compnay. they said they were working on the nl320 lenses but that was it. i remember i emailed maybe fall of 2011 so i dunno'.

i personally think Greg Clauss got rubbed the wrong way or he just lost interest in the project and is no longer making lenses for the NL320.

nevertheless, i am interested to see if there will be an option soon again.

i wouldnt quite say he is out of business. though, i havent called his business, i have ran into him or his comany on ebay. i emailed a seller of the pie shaped lenses for the 320 and it turned out to be him or his compnay. they said they were working on the nl320 lenses but that was it. i remember i emailed maybe fall of 2011 so i dunno'.

i personally think Greg Clauss got rubbed the wrong way or he just lost interest in the project and is no longer making lenses for the NL320.

nevertheless, i am interested to see if there will be an option soon again.

I dunno where Greg is on the NL320 lenses. I don't personally need any but I thought the information I had from my correspondence with him would be useful to those who do and hadn't received conclusive info from Greg for a while.

I just bought an extra set of the pie shaped clear L320 indicator lenses and asked about tail lenses for the same and got this response on 2/27/12:

"lenses are no more they are just not profitable there will be no rear lenses coming from me"

At the least this indicates a reason for lack of motivation on Greg's part.

I hope this info is useful. I really want to see you guys get your lenses made.

• Like 2

I dunno where Greg is on the NL320 lenses. I don't personally need any but I thought the information I had from my correspondence with him would be useful to those who do and hadn't received conclusive info from Greg for a while.

I just bought an extra set of the pie shaped clear L320 indicator lenses and asked about tail lenses for the same and got this response on 2/27/12:

"lenses are no more they are just not profitable there will be no rear lenses coming from me"

At the least this indicates a reason for lack of motivation on Greg's part.

I hope this info is useful. I really want to see you guys get your lenses made.

geez. and he was so cool to work with in the beginning.when i first bought my NL, he always gave a responce and email and was very fluid with communication. to each, their own.

yeh that sucks, yeh this bloke seems keen to do them to. like i said ill see how mine taillights are, I'm getting 2 sets. and will let use know. he told me $55 per lense roughly.. so like $120us for the set. without shipping obviously.

Let me know when your going to order, and what type he is willing to make, I really would like a red set, and a clear set for sure.

I would like to get a set of rear lenses. right now I running my old ones that I spayed clear/candy paint on just to hide the cracks. The average person can't tell but it bugs the heck out of me. Also need front pie shaped lenses

You can get the amber pie shaped front lenses on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-1963-1965-NL320-Pickup-Truck-Front-Turn-Lens-/120856880957?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c23a1a73d&vxp=mtr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sure some of you are watching these on ebay right now and if you were trying to keep it on the down low I'm sorry but I thought I'd post them for reference to see what the market is on a decent set.

Dont you have to use a decent set to make a mold?

http://www.ebay.com/...02f5497&vxp=mtr

e617ee5a.jpg

a3d5cf7f.jpg

47aab31d.jpg

I'm sure some of you are watching these on ebay right now and if you were trying to keep it on the down low I'm sorry but I thought I'd post them for reference to see what the market is on a decent set.

Dont you have to use a decent set to make a mold?

http://www.ebay.com/...02f5497&vxp=mtr

e617ee5a.jpg

a3d5cf7f.jpg

47aab31d.jpg

I am the one with the bid on there right now, I PMed him about wanting a "buy it now" option, but have gotten no responce, I don't know if this is somebody testing the waters or not, but Greg Clauss sent me a responce to my email inquiry, assuring me he was out of the lense business, so this may be a guy with several of them, or a guy with a test set or two, trying to decide if he wants to run anymore .

If someone needs these, it won't be hard to beat my bid, as I will not pay more than $200.00 for a set that I really don't need, but would buy as a backup set for that "just in case" set, I am hoping that Zeke comes threw on the guy he found to make them, he says the pie shaped ones cost $35.00, compared to the $66.00 ones that clauss studios is selling on ebay.

I actually thought/think that these came from "Clauss Studios", as these also have air bubbles in them, at least the first set sold had air bubbles/imperfections, the same bubbles as the Clauss Studios ones had, same bubbles I have in my lenses from him now.

I will not be worried about not getting these lenses guys, I just hope that there isn't a bidding war, and then have the winning bid become the "buy it now" price, as not many will get sold, I know datsun owners.

I feel that $200.00 is a good/reasonable "buy it now" price, but if it gets much higher.........