problems with my weber carb.

lil89ram50

hey guys. i have a problem with my weber carb. it runs and idles, but not a whole lot of power. well less then there should be.

i need to know what goes in these holes that are giving me vacuum leaks.

i was told the one with the spider man pencil pointing at it was an idle cut off solenoid. so i ordered it from webercarbsdirect, and it does not fit. it hits the choke.

also, the 2 holes at the bottom of the carb shown. those are also loosing vacuum

please help me out so i can keep this datto on the road!

d37dacee.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman there is for the idle jet holder (with o-ring!) or alternatively the idle cut off solenoid. Does it really run without anything in there?!:o The solenoid is like an idle jet + a fuel cut off solenoid when ignition is killed. Is that hole there the same size as on the other side of the carb? (idle jet for secondary) If they're the same, your carb isn't set up for an idle cut off solenoid.

The two holes in the bottom are carb vacuum for your distributor advance - one looks plugged to me with a brass plug, can be drilled out for extra vacuum source. Weber comes with a brass fitting, just slides in that hole and has a spigot for clamping vacuum hose

ETA: Here's a pic of what maybe should be there from a very nice Weber rebuild thread on a Supra site:

Step114b.jpg

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The photo of the idlejet the one w/the pencil hole.

There where 2 sizes for the idle jet holders on certain DGVs.

what you can do is the 2nd barrel will have a jet holder as you call it. If the 2nd barrel fit the main barrel then its the smaller jet holder.The Idlecut offs are for the bigger jet holders carbs like the 32/36 DGEV-IC. Thats how I learned. Just by looking ,look like you have the smaller set up and the selinoid would fit any way.But not positive!!!!!!!!!!Please ck

I cant beleive this is running w/o the idle jet in there unless you have the speed screw cranked all the way screwd in thus really running on the main jet.

banzai, i have the screw turned all the way in, and it stil would not idle. so i put a rubber vacuum cap on it also now it idles. about 1000 rpm. a little high, but managable. i did but the idlecut off. it looks like the threads are correct, just the body of it is in the way. i will take pics of the carb and idle solenoid. also my ratsun throttle cable till my new one shows up!

yello, yes l20b with l16 manifolds. 32/36. all stock

picture #6 shows the 2 ports i am talking about at the base where the vacuum advance is supposed to go. one is plugged, the other is open. i need the fitting to go there, so i have the correct spot for vacuum, instead of at the intake mani.

also notice the ratsun throttle cable lol

This photo is showing a couple of things, the two different sizes of idle jets/holders. next to the jet holders is the vaccum piece that you are needing. All shown with a picture of the vaccum piece installed and the hole that is plugged from the factory.

IMG111.jpg

This second photo is an attempt to show you how this jet is at a slight angle.

IMG110.jpg

Why you messing with the idle-cut solenoid?

The idle-cut solenoid only affects the idle! It won't affect off-idle power -- whether the solenoid is working or not.

i am messing with it becuase there is an open hole there if you read what i posted above. and im pretty sure there is a vacuum leak there even if im off idle. and also the port on the bottom for vac advance is open creating a vacuum leak

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 71 521. po installed an l20. along with the matching carb/intake and exhaust. the intake mani and exhaust mani are old enough to where they are not mated to gether, but the exhaust manifold does have all the emissions tubes coming off it. i swapped intake and exhaust manifolds back to an l16 setup, but kept the newer design carb as it has an electric choke, and an idle cut off solenoid. it also has one other wire coming off it. they were al twisted to gether and given 12 volts. everything worked flawlessly. i switch to a weber and am now back to this set up. what i would like to know, is:

does he have these wires correct? are they all supposed to get 12 volts all the time?

do you know what this carb is?