JC Whitney parts for Datsun 210: any good?

I was referred to the JC Whitney website today, where I see a lot of parts they list for the 210 (AKA B310, AKA Sunny) I'm restoring (1982 model). I'm considering buying from them because their parts prices are fantastic, but I'm a bit nervous because in one case, the rotors, they show what appears to be the wrong part (it's a 5 lug they show, but the car uses a 4 lug).

So I'm wondering: has anyone order Datsun parts from them and had a good experience, or are they just schilling generic junk that may or may not work?

Thanks!

Jason

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never heard of ROCKAUTO before the good people of this web site praised it..But now i check price and shipping there first ..Hell i just ordered a radiator for my sons Toyota and it was exact same as parts stores ( same part # even ) for $30. cheaper delivered to my door..smile.gif

I don`t know about JC Whittney though

I've never bought auto parts from JCW. I have purchased motorcycle parts and accessories in the past. The quality is ok for the price. As for the photo discrepancy with the lug studs, it's probably just a stock photo and not the actual part. I would probably choose Rockauto over JCW if you feel it necessary to buy online. I prefer to buy my parts locally and in person just in case there is an issue.

A lot of times websites use "stock photos" for an item, if you look in the small print under the picture it says "Product shown may differ from actual product appearance". I bought all of my front suspension parts for my 620 from JC Whitney, everything was correct when I received my parts.

I've never bought auto parts from JCW. I have purchased motorcycle parts and accessories in the past. The quality is ok for the price. As for the photo discrepancy with the lug studs, it's probably just a stock photo and not the actual part. I would probably choose Rockauto over JCW if you feel it necessary to buy online. I prefer to buy my parts locally and in person just in case there is an issue.

I prefer to get them locally as well, but unfortunately there are just some things I can't get locally :).

As for stock photos, Yeah, that's probably all it is. I may give them a try on some things I can't find closer to home :)

JC Whitney is OK. They sell a lot of bargain parts, kinda like Trader Joe's for groceries.

Just spent $300 at Rock Auto (well, OK, $271) for what can only be described as a *shit ton* of necessary parts I've either had trouble finding or were expensive. I got brand new brake rotors for under $5 apiece, versus Autozone's $32.99 price.

I may just piss myself :D

Rockauto has always been good to me. They sent the wrong part once and made it good.

JCW always had a reputation of being a little cheesy. I bought stuff from them in the 70's. Some parts were good.others :poop: I'm still using some tools I bought back then.

Their rotors are more expensive than Rockauto.

JC: $15

Rockauto: $7 and $13. Beck/Arnley is a great brand only $7

JC has a lot of auto accessories (like top mount mirrors for $8) but doesn't appear to have any more 210-specific parts than anyone else.

But they have free shipping today! Rockauto shipping is expensive.

Their rotors are more expensive than Rockauto.

JC: $15

Rockauto: $7 and $13. Beck/Arnley is a great brand only $7

JC has a lot of auto accessories (like top mount mirrors for $8) but doesn't appear to have any more 210-specific parts than anyone else.

But they have free shipping today! Rockauto shipping is expensive.

I got a set of rotors from Rock Auto today for $4.63 apiece :D. Yeah the RA shipping gets high especially if you order a lot of stuff from different distribution centers I noticed. I spent some time swapping brands of things around until I got it down to 2 distribution centers for all my goodies :).

I think on my 210 I'm going to have custom brackets made to mount the mirrors above the door sill/window sill like in newer cars so they're easier to see out of :P.