Aftermarket Wiring Harness Opinions

JasonGW

I'm rebuilding an 82 Datsun 210, the original problem with which was that the wiring harness was fried. So I'm considering buying a nice new aftermarket harness. I spoke to a vendor out at the car show last weekend, and was told that for $200 I could get a 21 circuit harness labeled every 5 inches, with wiring for everything including AC, power door locks and so on. But most interestingly, I was told I could toss the under-hood relay box out entirely because all appropriate relays are inline. Perhaps most sexily (is that a word?) the fusebox uses the more modern mini fuses, which holds a certain appeal.

I'm curious to see if anybody's had any luck using these on an A14 and if there are any "gotchas" to look out for :).

Thanks!

Jason

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This car has the EZ Wiring in it and it works great, just have to use a relay for the headlight switch to make it work properly since Datsuns use a floatin ground, or something like that!

Myself and another friend will be doing the EZ wiring and when I do I will post what I discover.

DSCF6558.jpg

Find another 210.

gotachas are most people never complete the kit

Not likely to find another 210 :). I'll definitely complete the other kit; I've already ripped out the entire old harness because it was fried, so there's no other option :). Besides, the car is gutted, laying wire will be easy, at least in terms of access :)

This car has the EZ Wiring in it and it works great, just have to use a relay for the headlight switch to make it work properly since Datsuns use a floatin ground, or something like that!

Myself and another friend will be doing the EZ wiring and when I do I will post what I discover.

DSCF6558.jpg

Awesome, beautiful car! Mine is gutted now too, so it should be relatively easy in terms of access, I just wanted to be sure it would work. I think what I might do with the old relay box is replace it with a padded container I can put a store of fluids into for topping off :)

Not likely to find another 210 :). I'll definitely complete the other kit; I've already ripped out the entire old harness because it was fried, so there's no other option* :). Besides, the car is gutted, laying wire will be easy**, at least in terms of access :)

* Get another 210 harness, ask on here, look around. Perfect fit, everything there, no guessing, plugs fit into your accessories/switches.

** Laying hundreds of feet or wire? Connectors? Crimps?

* Get another 210 harness, ask on here, look around. Perfect fit, everything there, no guessing, plugs fit into your accessories/switches.

** Laying hundreds of feet or wire? Connectors? Crimps?

I looked at the kit, and I'm pretty sure it's not "hundreds of feet" of wire. It's also labeled neatly every 5 inches, uses modern relays and fuses, and has every last wire clearly labeled. I'd probably agree entirely IF the car weren't gutted, but it is :)

I meant to add that this will make it easy to wire up your new harness to your old electrical devices, as opposed to trying to make new connectors fit old devices.

Thank you, I appreciate the link! I'll be using new devices almost entirely! Found H6054 shaped headlight housings that take brand new, modern style HID bulbs (hooray!) pretty cheap on ebay (already have them, they're nice!), and I'm planning to pop brand new LED's into every other orifice that spews light :)