my new 720

rockstar 620

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the good bumper as far as I am concerned, I think it is the best 720 bumper of all the years. It would look even better if you could find a chrome grill, If I can remember tomarrow I will take a oic. of my frontend. What do you think of the plastic things on the hood? I like silver.

u talking bout the grill??

Yeah, aren't you??

i have a hood off a 85 that ima paint black and throw it on..

i hate the things on the hood lol

No! The hood louvers were specific only to the '81 and '82 and a couple of months into the '83 model year. If you change it, your truck will be less distinctive. Keep them.

Four different hoods were used on the 720 1980, 1981-1982, 1983-1984 and 1985-1986.

all the grille's should swap

I'm not sure of that. The marker lights, grills, front valances headlight pots and bumpers are interchangeable between '83-'86 trucks. The '80-'82 side marker lamps, grills, bumpers and valance are interchangeable between these years.

Doors, windshields, side window glass front fenders swap all years.

you could try to use some bllack plastic restorer on the grille and it would look a lot better on there! back to black by McGuires works pretty well :)

also some diferent rims, with smaller tires, and a 3/4 drop woud be nice! maybe a slight tint job? i normally dont like tint on older vehicles, but i think yours would pull it off very well.

ima try it...i got the 16 inch silverados already lined up with 195/55s on em, its got tint already but its old so ima take it off i gta replace the rear window as well for a one piece and then get light tint all the way around.

ima work on the suspension over the weekend..ill reindex the bars and proly get sum blocks..ima try to go monoleaf first..

All the frontend sheet metal is interchangable, you have to use the sheet metal year of the grill and bumper, and side markers you want to use for it to look proper. If going from a 1980-83ish grill to the 1984 grill, you will need to lower the headlight buckets to the lower set of holes, they are about 1 inch lower, both sets of holes are in the later models anyway. If you use a 84 bumper on a 81 truck, the bumper will block cooling holes unless you use the 84 sheet metal. These are photos of my 1980 720 with the 1980 hood, chrome grill and shallow bumper. I think this is the best looking frontend combo of all the 720s.

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0834.jpg

I didn't realize the hood was open till after I published the photos and it is dark now, oh well. :(

are the fenders the same??

i think the 85 720 is the sexiest out of em all !!

All the fenders are the same, any 720 hood will fit on any 720, the headlights are lower from 83 on, but as I said, the holes for the higher positioned headlights are there in the later models, I don't recall if the holes for the later models(83-86) are in the 80-83 models sheet metal. A lot of things are differant in the 80 model. Silver was a stock color, so you can find replacement panels/body parts in the wrecking yards if you look long enough.