my new 720

rockstar 620

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a small torpedo level and place vertically on the rim edge with the feels facing forward. Raising or lowering will affect camber (tires tilt in or out from the vertical) Needless to say this puts the vehicle weight on one edge of the tire and will grind them away. Nothing like driving around in the rain on bald front tires that were new last spring.

When changing the ride height, the steering will toe out more and more from the ideal so have it checked.

You can lower or raise a vehicle within a narrow range without much effect. As you go further there are shims that can be added or subtracted to maintain your camber and the toe can be adjusted at the rod ends. Eventually you will run out of adjustment and tires will wear and handling will be compromised. There are drop spindles available that lower the hub several inches while keeping the stock alignment settings.

• Like 1

Get a small torpedo level and place vertically on the rim edge with the feels facing forward. Raising or lowering will affect camber (tires tilt in or out from the vertical) Needless to say this puts the vehicle weight on one edge of the tire and will grind them away. Nothing like driving around in the rain on bald front tires that were new last spring.

When changing the ride height, the steering will toe out more and more from the ideal so have it checked.

You can lower or raise a vehicle within a narrow range without much effect. As you go further there are shims that can be added or subtracted to maintain your camber and the toe can be adjusted at the rod ends. Eventually you will run out of adjustment and tires will wear and handling will be compromised. There are drop spindles available that lower the hub several inches while keeping the stock alignment settings.

He is right, there are drop spindles for 720s, it can be lowered and still have a ride, good call datzenmike, that's why your the KING RAT. :lol:

The '81 basically had the same caliper and rotor as the late 620. I think in the middle of '82 the 720 went to a larger caliper and vented rotors. This is an excellent upgrade for earlier trucks. You may have to swap the spindle and hub to fit the new larger caliper and rotor. Now this where the drop spindle comes in. I think it was only available for the D21 Hardbody but will fit the later 720. It should fit the early 720 but you would probably need the later caliper and vented rotor. If getting this from a wrecker get the larger 720 master cylinder too.

I think this is the best looking frontend combo of all the 720s.

I didn't realize the hood was open till after I published the photos and it is dark now, oh well. :(

Pfft... ;)

Was always partial to the 83+ 4x4 grill etc....

Guess that's why they made more than 1 model...... :D

PC050028-1.jpg

P1010061-2.jpg

well i found out what the main problem was. the idle arm bushings were gone. so i replaced that as well as the brakes and i notice that the caliper were different than the later model 720's..

also i noticed what u guys are talking about, my tires were hella toed out so i raised the truck back up for now.

i was tryin to figure out how to gain the most travel and being as low as possible. ive done a lot of reaserch but its pretty much all the same so i gues the best bet is going with lowering spindles

dont get me wrong i can proly come up with sumthing and do sum fabing on my own but im pretty sure that theres a lot of geometry n stuff involved if ima do sumthing like this. i looked up some spindles an they run in between 2 to 300 dlls...so its really not that bad... i also have spare lcas for my truck so i think i mite put the new ones on the truck n play with the old ones.

dont get me wrong i can proly come up with sumthing and do sum fabing on my own but im pretty sure that theres a lot of geometry n stuff involved if ima do sumthing like this. i looked up some spindles an they run in between 2 to 300 dlls...so its really not that bad... i also have spare lcas for my truck so i think i mite put the new ones on the truck n play with the old ones.

There is some measurements that should be made, but mike did it to my NL320(the thread I posted with the Z'd lower arms) and didn't Z the uppers and it drives just fine. Personally if I can make/fab something that is the way I will go cause it gives me something to do/think about and I like doing it. I really like doing it if it doesn't take weeks to do, and a Z'd lower arms shouldn't take that long. If $300.00 isn't that much to you, then do it, it keeps people like mike interested in such things which is good for all of us datsun owners.