Gas pedal pad for my L520? What's a "UTE"?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one should be it. I am going to use some grip tape on mine.

Gas

That guy says the pad he's selling for the gas pedal is the same pad he sells for the clutch and brake. My clutch and brake pedals are a different size and shape than my gas pedal. The clutch and brake have straight edges and the left and right edges of the gas pedal are curved, fat in the middle, narrower top and bottom and more importantly it is 1/4" longer than the brake/clutch. I pulled the pad off the clutch/brake and put it on the gas pedal and it seems very stretched out like it should have a different pad? Are all three pads the same? Here's pics, gas looks smaller but it's not it'a longer, just looks that way because clutch is closer to camera.

Datsun520pedals.jpgDatsun520pedals2.jpg

It has been awhile since I had the original brake/clutch but when I had my 1967 520 the pads on them were the same. I would get a hold of the guy and ask him to double check for you!

Yes, the brake and clutch are indeed the same if that is what you are saying. It's the gas pedal that seems like it needs a different pad. Are you saying you think you use the same pad on the gas as you do on the clutch and brake. Interestingly enough all the other listings on eBay are just noted as being for brake and clutch, not gas pedal.

Yes, the brake and clutch are indeed the same if that is what you are saying. It's the gas pedal that seems like it needs a different pad. Are you saying you think you use the same pad on the gas as you do on the clutch and brake. Interestingly enough all the other listings on eBay are just noted as being for brake and clutch, not gas pedal.

I know the clutch/brake are the same and the Gas is different(smaller and curved). I guess you have to keep looking for it,I would try a 521 or 620 somethings gotta fit it. I dont know if your trying to have it all original and just want the right one.GL!

Ute is what younger people in Australia call a pickup -- those people who don't know much about car history. For example, the Australia owner's manual says "Datsun Pickup" right on the cover, but they still call it a "ute".

Ute is short for coupe utility, invented in Australia and first used by Ford in 1934. It is a one-piece truck body with coupe origins. So Wayno is correct.

220px-1954_Dodge_Coupe-Utility.jpg

But it's a losing battle. Americans are now calling basic jeeps "utes" -- short for SUV. Haha. Ute is whatever people want it to be and the word is evolving.

By the way, Nissan sells those pedal pads for $7 each.

not quite :D

utes here pretty much started with the commodore and falcon models, they were always branded as utility vehicles. everyone in aus knows tray back/styleside vehicles as utes, old and young

anything known as a pickup (ford/chev/dodge full chassis pickups, datsun pickups etc) were just called utes, as thats what we know them as in australia. we're not suggesting the world is wrong for calling them pickups, its just that we call them something different

many chaps here laugh at the idea of calling utes trucks, cos we know trucks as big diesel things that tow lots of heavy shit. a ute isnt close to a truck, but then i dont think many of them realise that calling them trucks is just shorthand for calling them pickup-trucks

Quite. Check your automotive history, Gary. Ford came out with a coupe utility a year before Holden did, decades before the Falcon. Even Ford USA had one in the 1950s called the Ranchero.

But the seller referred to in the original post was probably referring to a "regular" Datsun 520 truck/pickup/utility.

you're missing the point big fella

the history is irrelevant

australians know them as utes, not pickups. end of list :D back when they knew them as utes, and now they know them as utes. young and old know them as utes. most know them as pickups too, but they call em utes. datsun called em pickups, we just call em utes. think of it as slang

utility vehicles and pickups might be distinct if you want to get anal about it all, but it doesnt change what we've always called them

By the way, Nissan sells those pedal pads for $7 each.

Well I made a trip to the local Nissan dealer and not only do they say the gas pedal pad is not available the parts guy thinks it does not exist. He pulled up the gas pedal assembly and it does not show a pad for the gas pedal. While I was at it I also checked on heater and radiator hoses, also not available. I did get a new interior shift boot, though. Here's the pedal assembly:

Datsun520gaspedalassemblyresize.jpg

It's an SUV 521! looks good.

Yes, utility vehicles are commonly called utes, and always have been. But technically there is a difference between a utility and a coupe-utility. And language keeps evolving. Like Wayno ... we used to call him Wayne :lol:

The JDM 521s had a pedal set identical to 521s sold here, they didn't come with a longer pad like in the Bangkok photo. Do you think the pedal was bare metal when new? Or that it came with a rubber finish?

• 4 weeks later...