Clutch adjustment?

NWOleman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang I think he means by the slave cylinder with the threaded pushrod.

if its like a 510 you loosen the 12mm Jam nut and at the end will have a ball which is also 12 hex on there(by T/O arm). You adjust it one way or the other til there is aboout 16th of play and lock it back with the jam nut.

If its the later type trans where the slave has just a NON threaded rod and it just fits in the cup of the T/O arm I think you could push IN the clutch and use the bleed screw to bleed it down where then the T/O arm moves fully forward thdn lock down the bleed screw.

The adjustment at the pedal is more for pedal height adjustment than real movement of fluid. Cause if adjusted correct it doesnt take much movement to release the clutch.

state whats is your real proplem if you have one

Well i do have a problem. When i push the clutch pedal down only the last little bit causes the clutch to engage. Now its so bad that i have to start it in 1st gear and just speed shift into the other gears. Pretty sure the clutch is toast. But i thought well maybe it just needs adjustment so im asking the pro's. Thanks guys. NWO

• Like 1

When you push the pedal you DISENGAGE the clutch. If the clutch won't disengage when you push the pedal it's usually a hydraulic problem, such as the master or slave (or both) is leaking internally.

However, I have had a clutch "delaminate" where the disc started coming apart and it wouldn't disengage. That required pulling the engine.

It's also possible the fork is bent, or someone put the wrong throwout collar in it (the latter would have always acted like that)

Well i do have a problem. When i push the clutch pedal down only the last little bit causes the clutch to engage. Now its so bad that i have to start it in 1st gear and just speed shift into the other gears.

I've got the same problem in my car. When I bought it he told me it was setup like that because the guy who built it set it up "like racers have it".

• 10 months later...

I am trying to figure out my clutch adjustment. I have 71 510 with dogleg. The clutch disengages when the pedal is all the way to the floor. I dont have any slip but would like it disegages a little bit higher on the pedal.

Do i need to adjust some freeplay at the clutch lever on the transmision? Which way would I turn the rod?

Any input would be great.

I dont have any slip but would like it disegages a little bit higher on the pedal.

Do i need to adjust some freeplay at the clutch lever on the transmision? Which way would I turn the rod?

there is an adjustment on the pedal (where the MC attaches) loosen the (12mm?) nut and twist accordingly.

if you turn it left and it doesnt help, turn it to the right.

The adjustment at the pedal is more for pedal height adjustment than real movement of fluid. Cause if adjusted correct it doesnt take much movement to release the clutch.

The stock 510 4 speed will have the adjusting rod same as the 521.

imtb the dogleg does not have the adjustable rod. To get maximum clutch travel be sure there is no air in the clutch line. Set the 510 clutch pedal height at 7" up from the floor by adjusting the bump stop up under the dash. Once pedal height is set adjust the clutch master cylinder push rod to achieve 1-2mm of free play.