Abandoned vehicle

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think this has been covered yet....

Is the truck currently registered to the dumbass?? if he never registered it, and the previous owner let the registration expire, then the truck is as good as yours. you could go register it in your name, claiming it was given to you but you lost all the paperwork. if there is no conflicting info at the DMV, they'll just register it to you. They don't care, they just want their money and to have the car registered to someone.

if it is currently registered, then you pretty much have no choice but to tow it away as an abandoned vehicle on your property.

also, there was some WA law saying you could not sell a vehicle that's been abandoned on your property. BUT, the law doesn't mention just simply keeping it as your own, or simply giving it away (neither of which are "selling").

i don't think this has been covered yet....

Is the truck currently registered to the dumbass?? if he never registered it, and the previous owner let the registration expire, then the truck is as good as yours. you could go register it in your name, claiming it was given to you but you lost all the paperwork. if there is no conflicting info at the DMV, they'll just register it to you. They don't care, they just want their money and to have the car registered to someone.

if it is currently registered, then you pretty much have no choice but to tow it away as an abandoned vehicle on your property.

also, there was some WA law saying you could not sell a vehicle that's been abandoned on your property. BUT, the law doesn't mention just simply keeping it as your own, or simply giving it away (neither of which are "selling").

^^^ This won't work in WA. even if the registration is expired, the car is still in a previous owners name in the state computer, and the dmv will not just let you put it in your name without a notarized release of interest or a title. It takes years to get removed from the state database. if you have no paperwork AND it's not in the computer you can take it to the state patrol, get a vin inspection and recieve an "ownership in doubt registration" THEN you still have to wait 3 years to get a title. There is no easy or quick way to do this unless you just strip the truck and give the carcass to a scrap guy with a tow license, then he will go through the hassle of getting papers.;) If you want the truck you just have to jump through the hoops.

Even if it's not in the computer (8-10 years to be removed) it's still in the archives. In 2000 I bought a truck that hadn't been registered since 1982. But they pulled records and yep, title was in someones name. Fortunately, the name of the guy I bought it from so he just went to the DOL with me and signed it over there. I scrapped it anyway. Another one, just took the widow of the owner plus the death certificate again to the DOL office. That one I drove (sat from 1986-2001).

I had to scrap a truck that I'd had the title in hand for, even though it was 3 owners back. I'd had a bad day and didn't notice the un-changed title fell in my recycling. By the time I realized, it was too late. Then the 3-persons-back owner wouldn't release title because she had an argument with the person she sold it to and wanted more money.

As much as you'd like it for parts/projects/etc., your best bet is to kick it to the curb. Do not keep so much as a lockwasher off it, as by the letter of the law that'd make it grand theft auto~ all the Dicklick's gotta say is "I don't know how it got there", and ur hangin by the family jewels. Take YOUR stuff off/out, and kick it to the curb~ literally. You're a daddy now, so coverin your ass is coverin your family's as well. Call Dicklick and inform him of your plans, send him a certified letter of intent, and wash it from your thoughts. Maybe it'll take more than a couple phonecalls to the local constabulary, as well as more than a week or two to see it disappear from your rural abode. But your conscience will be clear~ and you can end once and for all a friendship gone bad. Sometimes that just happens....

Peace~

Scott

OK...Update.

Back story:

(Kid) found an old truck in field. Owner said (Kid) could have it for a case of Coors Light. This was in March.

A few weeks later, (Kid) came to me with his truck, symptoms of a blown head gasket. I said I would help.

The plan was take motor(fresh L16/W53 head) from beer truck, and put in his.

Come to find out (Kid) never pulled the trigger on beer truck.

So I start taking the head off of (Kid's) truck. Found it to be more wavy than the floor at Oak's Park.

I notify kid we need beer truck, or that I'll put my A87 peanut on to his in exchange for beer truck.

(Kid) said yes. So I set out to finish, and gave (Kid) a parts list. Said he would be back in a week.

Never showed. I keep on him, and he finally shows a month or so later, without parts.

He shows himself once more a month after that.

Mind you-this is the span of a few, maybe 5 months.

Well, I had enough.

July 27th I email (Kid) and say this needs to get done, and gave a deadline to have things order.

The deadline was/is August 30th. Today. I haven't heard nothing from him in this time.

Until 4:15AM this morning. I got a text.

"Dude. If I give you the money, will you go get me the beer to get this truck?"

"No. Not very interested at this point. You took to long."

"Then I'll come get my truck."

"What about my compensation?"

The conversation went on to him calling me a thief, and him trying to re-neg on done deals him and I have already made to each other. Me telling him I've given him more than enough opportunity to get this done. Him getting shitty some more. Enough so to the point that I went home, packed up every nut and bolt and piece that came from his truck, tossed them into the bed, and rolled that sumabitch into the street.

At that point, I texted him once more..."Your truck is in the street. Anything you brought or came from your truck is in the bed. Nothing more. We are at a point to where we can both write off our losses. Do not call. Do not text. We are finished at this point." This was at Noon.

Trucks still in the street.

Shitty.

I was prepared to offer him cash ($200) for the truck.

But as soon as the gloves started flying, I went to boil!

No parts truck for me. Lost a friend(or what I thought was one.)

But at least I am done dealing with a clusterfucking NOOB.

And I kept my peanut head too.

As much he kept implying that I owed it to him.

It's theft that I kept it from him.

Right.

As soon as I informed him that not paying for services rendered was also theft, he switched his tone.

Trying to go sympathetic.

Family problems this. Poor me that. Why would you treat me this way after all I've been through.

Please. We all got problems.

What do your problems have to do with me?

The fact of the matter is you made a deal, and couldn't deliver.

My problem is that I'm out too.

Fucking kids.

But it's done.

I'll rock these ratty ass fenders for a bit longer.

As long as I don't need to deal with this shit anymore.

Hainz said it best earlier in this thread.

Thats why I try to only deal with the hardcore guys you can count on

And now I know better.

call it in.

Not wise.

It can be proven that I put it there.

It is there just to avoid him being close to me.

Where it is parked is in front of a barn. We know the owners well, and are good so far.

IF, if I need to have it towed, it will be put back in my yard.

sorry about the loss of a freind man, i think you went above and beyond , fuck the truck theres other parts trucks . ill keep an eye out.

Me and NismoDr. were keeping our fingers crossed about this one though.

I want the front. He wants the cab.

Too bad.

This truck will never get put back together.

It will never live again.

• Like 1

I hope you put it on public property (road) and not private.

I live in the stix. Nothing for miles except cherry trees.

It WAS on the public road. More on that in a minute.

Go find beer truck your self?

I know where it is.

I've been to it. I've seen it.

I'm the one that knew it was a W53 head.

That has always been in the back of my mind.

So 7 hours after I pushed this sumabitch into the street, I pushed it back into my yard.

Kid was supposed to have it by 3 today.

My in-laws own the house I rent.

My father-in-law wants to call the kid and give his .02.

I'm right on the fence of just calling John Brown now,

and seeing what they have to say about it.

I would just see about getting beer truck yourself. Offer him a thing of Monarch Vodka at the same time lol.

Owner is an old man. 65? 70?

Bought the thing new.

He said he had the import motor installed, then 50 miles later carb took a shit.

Took carb in to have it rebuilt, bought a Ford at the same time.

Never reinstalled carb. So new-ish motor. New-ish carb.

Hammered, sun-beaten interior/exterior.

Vodka would probably kick this guys ass.

He's a beer guy. Said so himself.

I am very tempted.

Owner is an old man. 65? 70?

Bought the thing new.

He said he had the import motor installed, then 50 miles later carb took a shit.

Took carb in to have it rebuilt, bought a Ford at the same time.

Never reinstalled carb. So new-ish motor. New-ish carb.

Hammered, sun-beaten interior/exterior.

Vodka would probably kick this guys ass.

He's a beer guy. Said so himself.

I am very tempted.

Do it! In the very least it is parts and a good motor. For what? a low price. Grab it now.

So...

At 6:55, I get a text. "Heads in the truck to?"

I text back, "Which head do you think you're getting?"

Really? You still think you're getting my ported A87 peanut?!? With the shit you've put me through since March?

Really!?!

10 minutes later...Kids here, with a friends.

They roll the truck up onto a trailer. Pull e-brake. And zoom off.

THEN-they roll back past not 1 minute later.

Still with an un-secured load.

I hope that things rolls off on the freeway.

And I hope that dumb little shit stays away.

I don't sleep at night. I'm boiling mad. And have 16+1 reasons to stay away.

I hope this is the last of it.