Disc brakes on a 610

zerow

The sedan is slowly moving along. I got the rear disc brakes in last night. I am too cheap (or I like punishment) to go and have new brake lines fabricated...(I am cheap, really) and I am using the OE hardlines and the Maxima brake lines that were in great condition. They are two pieces, each roughly 7 inches long. One 7 inch piece is not enough, and the two make the loop with extra (the extra could get in the way of the wheel or driveline if not tied back appropriately).

My question is: What is an accepted method of tie back? I want durability and longevity until I am ready to finally button this thing down with SS braided (new SS is NOT in the cards right now)? I was thinking zip ties, but that seemed too obvious, and the possibility of using a large hose clamp with something to shield the rubber is sounding more tempting...Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, shorter rubber lines would work, but the money is not there. I am saving for the finishing touches on the car (namely exhaust and brakes) I am using the cannibalized parts where I can, and saving the coin for other things.

you can get these in various sizes at the parts store.

pbcz_pbit.jpg

I used it for my fuel hard lines I made for the turbo Z and a shit ton of other things.

I got some of those from harbor freight and the rubber deteriorated in a couple of week. Just a heads up. Don't buy them from harbor freight...

I got some of those from harbor freight and the rubber deteriorated in a couple of week. Just a heads up. Don't buy them from harbor freight...

Thanks for the heads up. Now, to find a good source. I'm thinking the local hardware store should stock those.

I use cable tie wraps with a screw loop at the top, used to secure cable TV coax cable. Loop around the hose, cut the excess and loop the retaining spring through the loop. Cheaper alternative, use yellow trash bag tie wraps [no snickering allowed] and loop the spring through the slot. I will have both versions on my 411 at the JCCS meet at the Queen Mary on Sept 11. By popular demand I might even swap the trash bag for a cable tie wrap if enough popular demand exists on that day.

Zerow, i was thinking morealong the lines of what car might have a stock short hose that would do the job for you and then when you went to braided stainless later you could just order them for that car, and not need custom made stuff. And then you would only need to build proper brackets for them once, without the use of zipties.

So, my interest in a picture was to see the end connections, so that maybe i could make a suggestion of what car to use for shorter hoses.

• 4 weeks later...

When people buy my rear disc conversion brackets for maxima calipers (which work on the 510 and 610) I send them instructions that cover how to do the brake lines. Techna-Fit has all the parts avaialable for about $35 or so. stainless lines, adapter fittins, etc. Email me for the part numbers.

engineered.datsun@gmail.com

Using the cushion clamps (a.k.a. Adell clamps) is a great way to secure the flexible lines free of moving parts. The rubber should not deteriorate unless exposed to corrosive chemicals. These clamps purchased at any hardware store should work fine. I use them extensively all over cars that I build. Fuel lines, brake lines, wiring harnesses, etc.