***CALLING rear end GURU's***

S@nt0s

ok i have done some research and now at the crossroads and just want some verification.

i have a 72 1200 sedan that will be taking shots at the 1320 ( 1/4mile).

i have 2 rear ends

1 is from a 71 510 wagon

the second is from a datsun pick up. dont know which as i got it from a friend.

from what i have found out is they are both H190 ( correct? look at the pics)

the truck supposedly has 4.37's and the 510 3.90's

both can handle the power i will be giving it with the CA18DET.

now which would be more ideal

just install the wagon rear end and swap in the truck axles and 3rd member?

i rear up on wiki and here but just need some reassurance on this before i yank the stock rear end out.

datsun pick up

DSC_2038copy.jpg

510 wagon

DSC_2008.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all stuff I have never done but though about for my 1200 sedan. The wagon has different axle spline counts than the truck axles because of the smaller axles in the wagon, but the truck diff has all kinds of aftermarket LSD's. So my idea was to get a truck axle and use it, the 521 has the same width rear end as a wagon and the 320 is even narrower. I don't know if the 320's rearend guts are the same as the 521 but someone on here should know. I bet the 320 I'd close to the same with ad the 1200. If everything works out you could buy the nissan comp locker (275$ through a dude on the bb list) and have one tuff diff, if the 320 doesn't work the 521 should. I don't think it would be to tuff the redo the leaf mounts either. The 521 leafs are 1 inch closer than the wagon if my memory is correct. Sometimes its way off haha. Get pacific coast to measure all the truck diffs since he owns them all haha

You talking about the late 70's mustang 8.8?

I know about swaping the spiders to take the truck axels which are 29 spline right?

Yea the 320 is the most narrow rear but won't find one I'm sure, I wanna work with the 2 rears I have but if worst comes to worst ill do a chevy 10bolt or just do a ford 9".

8.8 (1986-up Mustang) is good for extra-heavy-torque -- 300 lb. ft. or more. It's a lot lighter than a Ford 9" yet nearly as strong.

Compared to a 1200 (B110), the 320 rear is narrower, 521 and 510 wider.

Drum-to-drum Width:

Datsun 320 50 in - H190 diff

Datsun B110: 51.36 in (1305 mm)

Datsun V510: 53 in

Datsun 521 53 in

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2401

ca's respond well to really low gears. stock silvias come in 4:40 to 1. i would go numerically higher than this but not lower. what ever rear you decide to put in, you will definately have to narrow it. i would swap in the ford 8.8 as well. the best ones with the low gears and lsd are the one that came stock in the thunderbird turbo coupe. They come stock with 3:73 to 1. good luck.

Ford 8.8 is just as strong as a 9" just not as easy to swap the 3rd member in and out (use to be a mustang guy 1969 coupe) but if you are going to the drags and are going to street drive the car at all get a good LSD the stock ford LSD is :poop: I rebuilt one in my buddys 89 and shimmed it up tight for auto X and put 2 events with 2 drivers for a total of 20 runs and it was DONE

CA18DET will need low low gears for 1/4 mile. Ideally you want to run our of revs just at the traps. Truck 4.375 H-190 at least, but you'll need an LSD or you'll go up in smoke. The H-190 is 7.49" and good for less than 285 lb. ft. torque. but probably will survive more with a tiny 1200.

CA18DET will need low low gears for 1/4 mile. Ideally you want to run our of revs just at the traps. Truck 4.375 H-190 at least, but you'll need an LSD or you'll go up in smoke. The H-190 is 7.49" and good for less than 285 lb. ft. torque. but probably will survive more with a tiny 1200.

The only problem is shock loading the axels on slicks probably using some form of anti-lag is going to place a tremendous strain on the axels.I would hate to see intimate contact with a guard rail at the dragstrip because an axel busted. For a street car running an LSD is a good idea as huge loads are placed on the axels turning corners , with a Ford 8.8, Dana 44, Chevy 12 bolt ect... clutch pack or lockers are common and really not as expensive as what could happen to a car if an axel breaks.