interchange

I looked for a min and didnt see a good discription of interchangable parts. I have a 77 620 I just got from Cali, I am in TX on business and see a sliding rear window from an 80 and a 84 (?) parts truck with a 5 speed and newer engine. with AC

Ideally I want to go 5 sp, ac and disc brakes. Can I use these finds? I know 79 was when they changed a few things but dont know what they changed.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '80 720 would also have the desirable matchbox distributor. Definitely get that.

I looked for a min and didnt see a good discription of interchangable parts. I have a 77 620 I just got from Cali, I am in TX on business and see a sliding rear window from an 80 and a 84 (?) parts truck with a 5 speed and newer engine. with AC

Ideally I want to go 5 sp, ac and disc brakes. Can I use these finds? I know 79 was when they changed a few things but dont know what they changed.

Take a look at the '80 tranny and see if it's a 5 speed. Measure the length of the tranny and if 31.5 or above... and if you can get it for real cheap.... and if it's 2wd, it will drop right into your truck. Put it in and drive home. keep your 4 speed for a spare.

The '84 5 speed has to be 31.5" long and 2wd also (and cheap) and you can swap your '77 4 speed front case onto it to convert it for use with your L series motor. It's a bit of bother but if you get it for $50 take it home and do the conversion.

FIRST!!!

Drain the oil and take a good look at it and the magnet on the drain bung. If the oil is cloudy or milky or if there are chunks of metal or ball bearings on the magnet, walk away.

• 2 weeks later...

'77and '78 620, the '79 has a wider internal gear set to match the 4.11 diff ratio.

'77-'78 280z and first year ('79) 280zx (same ratios as the '77-'78 620)

'79-'84 Maxima/810 (same ratios as the '77-'78 620)

'80-'83 non turbo 280zx (closest ratio gear set)

These will all 'drop in' with the only change being the speedometer pinion gear to keep the speedometer accurate.

Send me a message on the slider

Sorry, I diddnt want people to think I am going around parking lots with a bag of tools looking for parts, more like junk yards looking for some donor vehicles. Or around where I live, my landlord was a mechanic for many years and has all kinds of parts cars stashed away in the out buildings, mostly little Mazda trucks from the 80's-93 era.

He does have an engine and 5 speed from a B210 datsun though.... not sure if that could be useful or not.

Send me a message on the slider

He does have an engine and 5 speed from a B210 datsun though.... not sure if that could be useful or not.

The B210 is a 'A' series motor. It does not interchange with the 'L' series motor. The transmission will not work directly with the 'L' series either.