no dash lights

Hey guys thanks for all the help with getting my tail lights and running lights going without all the help from you all it would of been hard to fix all these quirks. Problem that now still lingering is that my 79 KC now has none of the interior dash lights working and all the cluster lights are all out also. Did I miss something when I put in the new harness? Whats the green wire go to in the back of the instrument cluster sensor? Is there a quick solution to all this mess?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely first thing is check your dimmer switch... turned fully to the right??? :lol: Check that it is plugged in too. :lol: If the wiper and heater are working then the common ground is working.

The front and rear running lights are on the same fuse. Check if they are still on. If off, the fuse blew. If on, then the dash maybe has a plug that is not plugged in or a bad connection. Any plug to the dash unplug and plug back in to clean the contacts.

Parking Lights And Dash Are Under Same Fuse

Check To See If Your Parking Lights Turn On

If They Don't Turn On It's A Fuse

If Parking Lights Turn On Then Dash Lights Should Be On

If Dash Lights Are Not On

Make A Jumper To Bypass The Dimmer Switch

If They Still Don't Turn On You Probably Fried The Bulbs

After That I Would Have No Clue :blink:

Right, that all sounds good. Now that I think about it I should have made more efforts. When the ignition is on the brights, charge etc all come on its just the others that actually light up the cluster that doesn 't come on. Then I noticed that the illumination bulb for the headlight swith and wipers wasn't working either. So I'll check out bulb and replace it regaurdless and make sure have power going to unit. Now the grounding screw for the cluster all makes sense cause right now the cluster is in the front of my dash, Will do the process of illimination today and let you all know whats up. Thanks Lance

Most of the dash cluster is plastic so no need to ground it. The dash illumination lights for the cluster, heater illumination and headlight/wiper knobs are all run through the illumination control and to a black ground wire. This is the only way they can be adjusted for brightness. The illumination control is unplugged or broken or the dash harness is not properly plugged in behind the glove box to the harness going into the engine bay. I assume you heater fan or wipers work??? If so the ground wire is connected to the battery so it all comes back to the illumination control switch or plug for it.

Yea the heater and the wipers all work just fine, been so busy doing the stuff with owning a house that I havn't been able to get out there and check it out. I noticed the lamp above the illumination switch isn't working or either the bulb is out so the lights are notn working in the knobs either. I think nthat I may have another illumination switch outside. I'll check it out and let you know. If anyone can call me at 505-452-0498 I'd be interested in talking rather than over the internet. I can call anyone with this unlimited deal I have. Thanks for all responding!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hey cruznude what did you end up having to do to fix your problem? my 82 is doing the same thing and i cannot figure out why. all i have left to do is trace the wires from the cluster back to the fuse box and im really not looking forward to that

• 12 years later...

Can Anyone tell me where the plug is behind the Glove box that goes to the dash Before it goes to the engine housing what does the plug look like how many prongs I mean any kind of help would be great!I still can’t figure out the no dash lights that I have checked the dimmer switch and it has power but Works can’t figure out why they have no dash lights at all??

Dash light problem will be inside the cab.

If dash lights out, likely the rear tail lights and the front amber parking lights are out also. Are they???

Check the #13 fuse, it's the third one back from the far right side of the box, or 13th over from the left side. 15 amp. Test it or replace it do NOT trust it by looking at it.

On 7/30/2011 at 9:06 PM, datzenmike said:

Absolutely first thing is check your dimmer switch... turned fully to the right??? :lol: Check that it is plugged in too. :lol: If the wiper and heater are working then the common ground is working.

The front and rear running lights are on the same fuse. Check if they are still on. If off, the fuse blew. If on, then the dash maybe has a plug that is not plugged in or a bad connection. Any plug to the dash unplug and plug back in to clean the contacts.

Yes & also, the dimmer switch (rheostat) can be bypassed, if faulty.  All it does, is allows you to turn the dash lights down or off.  Bypassing & hard wiring simply makes the dash lights on, as bright as they will go..........but still turn OFF when the headlight switch is off.

• Like 1