SAS.. Best Axles?

coladylan

Hey guys I have an 82 nissan 720 KC 4x4 and I am looking at SAS it. I want to keep it road legal, having that said, what is the best combonation of front and rear axles? I would like them to be short enough to keep my truck street legal pretty easily. I thought I saw Dana 44s in front, but am not sure how wide they will be on a 720.

Anyways, any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dylan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people use the 79-85 Toyota axles.

However, if i was going to build one(considering it), i would source a set of Dana 44's from a Jeep Wagoneer. Slightly wider width i think though, but should work well for a 720. As i want them under a 620. I would also use the Dana transfer case.

Both have very good aftermarket support too. Any gear ratio's and lockers you could want.

X2 on the wagoneer Dana 44's. You can usually get a set fairly cheap, just avoid the vacuum actuated front axle lock (these are on a few years in the early 80's). You can get them in a drivers (later years) or passenger drop (earlier years) configuration depending on what transfer case you plan to run.

Are you planning to run leafs, radius arms or a three link?

They are 62" wide from WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) to WMS which is just a smidge wider than the toyota solid axle.

They have a full gear selection and pretty much any locker available is offered for them.

you could just take the axles out of a late 80's jeep cherokee. if you find an 87' with a tow package it will have a dana 44... most other cherokees come with dana 35 rear and dana 30 front... there is nothing wrong with the dana 35 (until it breaks) i have a linked and welded rear d35 in my cherokee and it does fine, blew up my t case (np242) before the rear end went

• 5 years later...

you could just take the axles out of a late 80's jeep cherokee. if you find an 87' with a tow package it will have a dana 44... most other cherokees come with dana 35 rear and dana 30 front... there is nothing wrong with the dana 35 (until it breaks) i have a linked and welded rear d35 in my cherokee and it does fine, blew up my t case (np242) before the rear end went

I was told the Jeep front 30s vibrate if you don't go real slow in 4wd, I'm still gonna throw mine in since I mean I have it, but does anyone have experience with this?

Ughhh... It's really simple. Geometry matters in axle, pinion angle, caster, etc. Vibrations in driveline are most likely caused by misaligned u-joints on a single driveshaft. This can be caused or fixed many different ways and usually has nothing to do with the axle, per se.

The best axle for any application is a custom built one. Built specifically for that combination.