Won't idle after timing set?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you're saying that your idle drops a signifigant amount upon turning on your headlights? that may mean that your battery is bad or your alternator and something is drawing too much power making your alternator work harder making your engine work harder... just a suggestion, i know my friends cadillac wouldnt stay running without your foot in the floor when the battery was low and the alternator wanted to try hard to charge and run the car at the same time. (and thats making an 8 liter v8 run bad, think about what it would do to your 4 cylinder.)

it sounds fine, barely uneven, if you wanna see a car that doesn't idle for shit look at mine (i have to keep the throttle on at the lights). but if you believe you're having problems i strongly believe its your alternator. especially after hearing the comment saying the voltage charging jumps at a certain rpm.

it sounds fine, barely uneven, if you wanna see a car that doesn't idle for shit look at mine (i have to keep the throttle on at the lights). but if you believe you're having problems i strongly believe its your alternator. especially after hearing the comment saying the voltage charging jumps at a certain rpm.

his comment seemed to be more like, my charge light is on until I hit 3k rpm. On my car, when I switched to the L18 from my L16, I have to blip the throttle (maybe to 900 rpm) to get the light to turn off.

But yes, I too think it is electrical related, either alt not giving enough charge at idle, or something going on with the MSD unit.

• Like 1

I had a very similar problem which has been improved by finding a problem in the ignition coil power... was only getting 6.5v ... 8v running. Check the coil with a multimeter, see if its getting full 12v.

Maybe someone suggested this already, but I just skimmed the thread...

It was cause by some high gauge wire in the tachometer circuit.

Try it, check over electrical. Never can be too sure with the wiring.

I had a very similar problem which has been improved by finding a problem in the ignition coil power... was only getting 6.5v ... 8v running. Check the coil with a multimeter, see if its getting full 12v.

Maybe someone suggested this already, but I just skimmed the thread...

It was cause by some high gauge wire in the tachometer circuit.

Try it, check over electrical. Never can be too sure with the wiring.

more importantly, car got sold a few hours ago...