240z wont start

I havent started the car in about 2 months, the battery seems to be dead so I hooked it up to a charger. It has been plugged in since Tuesday morning, its now Saturday morning, and it still wont start. I cleaned the wires and terminals already. The interior lights work, but when I turn it over I get series of rapid clicks, almost like a dead battery but it keeps clicking. Any suggestions before I have to go buy a new battery?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I swapped in a new battery, it just doesn't start now. It has a new fuel pump and filter, new plugs and wires, and new distributor cap. Fuel filter has gas in it. It turns over but doesn't try to start.

There is a smaller gauge wire attached to the battery side connection of the negative plug that is not hooked up to anything. There us also a wire of the same gauge coming from the firewall by the battery not hooked to anything. Both wires are frayed. Are they supposed to be connected?

EDIT

Here are the wires. This is with the battery from my Altima. The battery that was originally in has the negative on the right side, making the two wires close together

zbattery.jpg

Did this start before?

If yes than ask were these witres hooked up bfore?ONly You know this.

The postive might just be a extra wire to splice too but might not be needed at all.If cranks I look for spark at center coil wire to ground. then ck distributor,points, valave lash.

if you put new cap make sure the rotor is in there. CCW fire order, correct order ect....

Glad it was an easy fix ! ,,, oh ,,, , and make sure to "clean" those battery cables/contact points ,,, as electricity travels on the outside of the wiring , not the inside ,,, :)

Now is the time of year to clean the electrical connections ,,, with either a two stage cleaner/preserver electrical contact cleaner ,,, or a more expensive one stage ( cleans/preserves ) ,,,

^^^ Well worth the time and money my friend :D

I'm replacing the battery and cables so ill only need to clean the starter point and ground point. You can tell by the pictures that the po just threw any shitty cables he had on there, one is extremely rusty. Another good thing I found out is my battery tray is 100% intact :thumbup: I'm FINALLY taking it into the body shop this weekend so I can start driving it, and in getting it ready I've been tearing into it more and finding things out.

This isn't exactly electric related but instead of starting a new post ill add it here: on my su setup, there is a screw and spring on the linkage that affects the idle of the carb closest to the firewall. I'm not familiar with smaller carbs at all so I don't know the exact name. It's not the air/fuel mixture though. Anyways, there is one closest to the firewall that adjusts idle, and there is an identical spot near the front carb but no screw or spring, should there be one?