RFID ignition

Since I've stripped my datsun interior I'm thinking of getting rid of the need for keys all together for the car besides the door locks and trunk. I'll still have the ignition in the car just keeping it unwired and using it as a steering wheel lock, might for shits and giggles wire the on and start positions to a horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RFID-Reader-transponder-key-fob-security-/370414048828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e65d63c

Just an example of what I've been finding, so yeah I'll be keeping you guys updated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to break. But really, is a Datsun thief going to be able to break RFID?

Also that kit wants a 3 inch proximity, I want a 3 foot proximity so I dont have to even pull the keys out of my pocket.

I am more likely to just use a reed switch (magnetic switch), and just hide it somewhere.

Easy to break. But really, is a Datsun thief going to be able to break RFID?

Also that kit wants a 3 inch proximity, I want a 3 foot proximity so I dont have to even pull the keys out of my pocket.

I am more likely to just use a reed switch (magnetic switch), and just hide it somewhere.

True enough, Most likely thieves are not going be looking for a high-tech starting systems in a classic car. I just don't want to take any unnecessary chances with my baby. The more advanced security gets, the more advanced thieves get! Digital switches and locks are MUCH easier to get a universal key/code for than a hidden manual kill switch. I look at it like this: if someone wants your car bad enough, they will find a way to steal it. Not much you can do to combat a flatbed and winch. I want to make it as unpleasant as possible to steal and/or use after stealing. I have been pondering the reed switch myself for some time. Thought it would be cool to just have a magnet on my key chain and stick it on 'the spot' then have a starter button.

True enough, Most likely thieves are not going be looking for a high-tech starting systems in a classic car. I just don't want to take any unnecessary chances with my baby. The more advanced security gets, the more advanced thieves get! Digital switches and locks are MUCH easier to get a universal key/code for than a hidden manual kill switch. I look at it like this: if someone wants your car bad enough, they will find a way to steal it. Not much you can do to combat a flatbed and winch. I want to make it as unpleasant as possible to steal and/or use after stealing. I have been pondering the reed switch myself for some time. Thought it would be cool to just have a magnet on my key chain and stick it on 'the spot' then have a starter button.

Just figured it would be fun thing for the car, not really expecting it to keep all thieves away.. Though honestly I see more shit getting stole out of the car then the whole care getting stole.

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday too. ;) F those stupid systems. There's nothing I hate more than a car that can't be started because you forgot your "key". Besides that, a hidden switch is the way to go. Simple, effective, prevents 99% of theft. Thieves with enough desire will steal your shit regardless.

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday too. ;) F those stupid systems. There's nothing I hate more than a car that can't be started because you forgot your "key". Besides that, a hidden switch is the way to go. Simple, effective, prevents 99% of theft. Thieves with enough desire will steal your shit regardless.

I too see a "neat" factor in these systems, but not sure if they are for me or not. HRH, wouldn't you also not be able to start your car if you forgot your traditional key as well......?

Not likely. Ask me how long it takes to remove a clamshell and unscrew two phillips screws and pull out the backing and turn with a screwdriver? ;) I used to break into my hardbody by carefully prying the seal out of the rear window enough so I could reach in and undo the lock.

I could totally be a professional car thief, for Nissan/Datsun anyway.

hidden switches i find are best. and dont leave anything in your car. i had "4" switches in my chevy. master batt. ign on. fan/ charging sys. and a my personal favorite. a switch that interupted the power to the hei dist. i woke up one morning to my door wide open and the hood poped they stole my edelbrock air cleaner housing....