overheating!!!! help

510 Bomber

driving on the highway and i smell burning coolant. ohh fuck. pull over and pop the hood. yeap, cracked a hose.....gotta change them all. stat. went and fixed it but its still overheating. it has coolant, hope i didnt fuck anything up

hose.jpg

it crack on the hose goin to my heater core.

next time i gotta drive around with real tools. stoping at the dollar store and buying an adjustable screwdriver and kitchen shears rnt the best to fix your car. but it work. :huh:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ That's what I was thinkin'. Let the car cool down, then take the radiator cap off. Turn your heater on, at the hottest setting, and start the car. Watch inside the radiator, and see if the level drops. As soon as it does(if it does), add coolant. Run it until you have all the air out of the system(level stops dropping).

theres no decrease in coolant. but its just reving HIGH, and i gotta go run around town, and i bet when i get home, itll blow steam outa my coolant reservoir.

hopefully some not bad happend. like theomostat. i hope i didnt crack a head or something, blew a head. idk.

For a fast fix just connect the hose coming from the back of the head to the lower rad inlet and by-pass the heater core.

Overheating shouldn't bother the thermostat. If you replaced the hose and it's still running hot run the heater on high for extra cooling. Check the clutch fan, the fan belt for tightness, make sure there is nothing obstructing air flow through the front of the rad (like a plastic bag or leaves) and carry a gallon of water with you.

it is soaking. and ive been heating it. its in there good. gotta get a differnt vise grip and i should be able to get that bolt out.

the datsun was sittin for awhile before i got it. so the water pump, i dont think thats a huge problem. the thermostat blew. its trashed and ive gotta get a new one.

the belt did seem a little loose, i did change the alternator. maybe didnt tighten the bolt all the way. will check that when i replace the thermostat.

but im glad im learning a bit about my car. :D

installthemo.jpg

well its in. and it runs great. but what a bitch. new hose. will change all the hoses once i get more money. but i really want a different manifold, all those lines around my carb and shit. to much. i was told if i get like a late 60s manifold it doesnt have all that emissions shit. anyone have one?

im goin for more horsepower, btw.

but thank u for all the help. im glad my bro is a mechianic so he can help me out, but u guys know ur shit.

cant wait to work on it more.:D

installthemo.jpg

but i really want a different manifold, all those lines around my carb and shit. to much. i was told if i get like a late 60s manifold it doesnt have all that emissions shit. anyone have one?

im goin for more horsepower, btw.

Don't bother there's no gain for all that work. It'll run just the same.