Trans leak at speedo cable

grant

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The O ring around the speedo pinion can't disappear, it might leak if removed and put back in. (disturbed) I would more likely think it was the little rubber 'top hat' shaped seal that fits up into the end of the cable sheath. It keeps oil from climbing the inside of the cable and dripping on the floor under the dash. It's about the size of a nickle.

Speedocable005Large.jpg

Speedocable006Large.jpg

If you think it's the O ring, take it to any automotive store and go through their stock for one that matches.

hey guys thanks for the help, the trans has been out before I bought it and I am just finishing a frame off resto of sorts, so the cable was hanging from the bottom of the cab while it was on the hoist so it wouldn't surprise me that one or both of these could be missing. .

anyone have a part #? the local nissan dealer is USELESS with datsuns

I haven't put it up on the hoist yet but I'm guessing I missing at least one of the pieces so taking it into a dealer/vendor might not be an option. However if no one can find a part # I guess I will have to get the stealership to earn their money! lol

• 4 weeks later...

On the level the oil level should be up to the fill hole. The speedo drive pinion only gets splash oiling and the level shouldn't be that high. Thanks for getting back on this. This is a symptom with a cause not that obvious.