1979 620 Will not Idle unless foot is into the gas

rojadoja

So I yanked the hitachi off my truck a couple weeks ago and replaced it with a brand new 32/36 weber. After some tuning, it was like I had a brand new truck. All was good for a week or so and then in a 24 hour period, the idle went from smooth to progressively worse, to no idle at all. The motor will only stay running if I have my foot well into the pedal, and even then it surges. The second I take my foot off the gas, it rapidly dies. I checked all vacuum sources for leaks and checked to make sure I had fuel after the pump and after the regulator. I removed the regulator to verify that it was not the culprit and that did not help. I pulled all my jets and cleaned them out. Any ideas???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe sucked some water through the filter and it's puddled in the bottom of the float chamber or some dirt got in and has partially blocked the jet.

You replaced the filter with the new 32/36 swap??

Could be that the idle circuit is gunked up. Completely remove the idle screw and blow some carb cleaner through it, verify that bubbles come up in the float chamber.

Or is it a 32/36 with anti-diesel valve? That may have stopped working. It will fail to idle, but otherwise run OK.

If it was a progressively worse issue, I would pull the carb and make sure the adapter is still tight. I had one bolt come loose at the bottom and cause a similar issue. Be sure to use a locking compound when putting back together.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was a progressively worse issue, I would pull the carb and make sure the adapter is still tight. I had one bolt come loose at the bottom and cause a similar issue. Be sure to use a locking compound when putting back together.

should i put it back together with or without sealant?