5-speed Transmission is ready for...

elaka

Hi Everyone,

I have one 1982-720 Datsun Pickup (Z22, RWD, long bed, regular cab). Last autumn I was driving it and all of sudden selecting gears was harder than usual. I managed to drive it home and left it there, thinking that clutch bleeding will fix it. Ended up replacing a slave cylinder and it did not fix it; I could change gears with engine off, but not when it was running.

Having experience with identical symptoms on a Honda Civic (clutch fork broke) I brought the Datsun' tranny down and was surprised to see the fork intact. I have no idea where to start, my goal was to replace clutch components + fork + release bearing. I will also change pilot bushing.

Tranny side view

Tranny top view

Tranny side view-where is this gunk coming from?

Tranny top view-Ithink the gunk is from there

Please someone guide me in the right direction! :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull the cover in the front of the trans off where the pivot ball is. shood be 12 mm bolts about 8 of em. check to see if when it comes off if the lower bearing comes apart or shows major signs of wear. they go bad all the time and its the main reason these trannys get junked.

check your clutch master cylinder too ,,, before tearing into things :)

good point! i figured with rplacing the slave he wood see if it wasnt pushing it far enough still. but always worth a shot b4 u take the trans apart

Hi Everyone,

I have one 1982-720 Datsun Pickup (Z22, RWD, long bed, regular cab). Last autumn I was driving it and all of sudden selecting gears was harder than usual. I managed to drive it home and left it there, thinking that clutch bleeding will fix it. Ended up replacing a slave cylinder and it did not fix it; I could change gears with engine off, but not when it was running.

Having experience with identical symptoms on a Honda Civic (clutch fork broke) I brought the Datsun' tranny down and was surprised to see the fork intact. I have no idea where to start, my goal was to replace clutch components + fork + release bearing. I will also change pilot bushing.

Rather than throw money/parts and time at it, first I would try to diagnose what could be wrong. Symptoms are difficult shift with motor running but fine when off.

Check the clutch master fluid level then work clutch while watching the slave for movement. Bleed the slave... if no fluid movement the master may be bad. If fluid movement and pressure and still no slave movement, the slave could be seized. Replace as necessary.

If both check out as good, this leaves the transmission or clutch/pressure plate which can't be looked at without removal. With engine running depress clutch and try to place in reverse. If the gears grind constantly then the clutch is not disengaging properly. I would look at the pressure plate/clutch disc assy for damage. The diaphragm fingers could be bent/broken/worn abnormally, release bearing broken/damaged or the clutch disc de-laminating and rubbing the PP or flywheel. IF and I say IF the master and slave are working properly, I would suspect a clutch/pressure plate/release bearing problem

What you can also do is check the transmission oil level. If you haven't changed the oil in the last 3-5 years or do not know when the PO changed it, now is the time. I realize yours is out but you can still remove the bottom drain bung and look for metal debris on the magnet on it.

Assuming the oil is full and good and no obvious metal parts on the magnet the tranny should be drained to make removal easier.

You have the tranny out but no pictures of the pressure plate/clutch arm/release bearing. Can you post them? Also how much oil was in the tranny?

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Here are the pics of the pressure plate and etc.

Pressure plate

Pressure plate zoom

I also have two pictures of old and new release bearings (it came with the clutch kit)

One

Two

...and they look different!

I will take my time (this time around ;) ) to double-check the clutch-slave functionality. My major problem is with the transmission. If you look through the pictures on my original posting, the rear of the transmission is very greasy - I think oil was leaking out of it. I suspect the output seal or the area where shifter stick gets inserted.

Should I pull the tranny apart or just forget it and put it back as it is? How common is it to have the transmission leaking oil from somewhere in the rear?

I drained the oil and it was very dark-blue. The plug had some minor metal shavings attached to its magnet. I have no idea when PO replaced oil last time.

It had almost two quarts of oil.

I prepared myself for the job. My replacement clutch kit has the release bearing (not the same as the one installed!), pressure plate and clutch disk. I bought a clutch fork, anticipating the same problem I had earlier with Civic. I will end up replacing the corresponding old parts with the new ones in any case.

I, however, was unprepared for the tranny "overhaul". It is not my daily vehicle and if I end up pulling the tranny apart I will get then the additional parts.

Edited by elaka